ho wmuch of a debit does this game owe to asl

You know, I think it really continued along the ASL lines, even after the break. I might very well just quit playing ASL (except for Oktoberfest maybe), because this game is so close. Oh, I'll still play ASL for eastern front goodness, but my ASL western front days are over. Now if I can just start converting all of those groovy scenarios.....

El Jeffe

Georgii2222@hotmail.com

Jeff Ital

Fenton, MO

Nothing can replace a good old game of counters and hex maps! Its a different experience, and ASL rules.

However, CM has shown how to really do it with a computer, and do it right. Its not only something akin to ASL, but WWII table top miniatures as well. And nothing to date can get the immersion level CM can, nothing!

CM is pleasing a lot of people because it appeals to all of us. It appeals to those who want lots of realistic detail and to those who just want to have fun. There is definately something for everybody.

I chuckled when I read someone stating how CM made their heads hurt, making them think and "work" too much! I couldn't believe it, for this game is a snap to play. Think about ASL and its rules you had to memorize! Now that could make your head hurt!

CM is not ASL. But it delivers a lot of what you loved about ASL and makes it come to life in a way no board and counter wargame could ever do. CM is faster, easier, more realistic, prettier, more immersive, and by golly, a whole hell of a lot more fun. We all like to watch things blow up! INCOMING!!!!

I guess you can tell I like CM. Looking forward to the East Front with CM2, and Africa/Italy with CM3, and Early War with CM4, and what has to come, I can only hope, Modern War, CM something or other.

Well, as I recall there was intent to break from the methodology of ASL from the very start. Granted there was a sizeable faction that wanted a literal translation of the board game to the computer so that they could, in effect, have a computer opponent for the same old ASL. There was very heated debate about using the computational power of the PC to relieve the player of all the calculations. There were some folks who resented not being able to "game" the system and calculate the best attack on the IRT. I have no idea if any of those folks later changed their minds and support combat mission or not. CM had to break from ASL because ASL was designed around the notion of two players functioning as the "CPU" that ran the engine. CM could stepout of the box of traditional board game design (which many wargames still seem to use) and go with a new Paradigm. I think it has worked. 2 years ago we wondered if they could make it. Now they had to make more to meet demand.

Guest Big Time Software

Kump and RMC are correct. Charles started out trying to make ASL in computer form with a few improvements almost 3 years ago. Within a few weeks of the intial design (i.e. before one line of code was written) he gave up smile.gif This was long before the break with AH.

ASL is desgined, from its core to finishing touches, to work as a paper and cardboard game. Therefore, no point trying to hobble a computer program based on inherently board game constraints.

In short... there is practically nothing of ASL in CM. Or any other game for that matter. Instead, we looked at the history books and technical documentation for our inspiration. Personally, I have never played ASL or SL, so my influence on CM obviously could not have come from either game.

We certainly think the break was for the better, for a LOT of reasons. CM is doing things that no board and paper wargame could ever dream of doing. In fact, no other existing computer wargame is doing what CM is smile.gif And because the data in CM is based on real world numbers, and real world physics, it has a degree of realism over ASL in a HUGE way.

OK, I'm really tired... but I think that made sense smile.gif

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 06-28-2000).]