Captains Exodus Has Army Fearing for Future

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A13449-2000Oct15.html

I'm not sure why Charlie D228 (or whoever it was)was banned for posting the link to this article-I read it, and had actually forwarded it to my colleagues who are interested in military affairs before I saw it posted here. It actually seems pretty on topic, or at least close enough to being on topic to be a reasonable inclusion, so I am assuming that there is some history to this guy that justifies his being banned rather than the topic itself.

In any event, I WOULD be interested in what active duty or recently active duty guys think about this-is morale in the army today that bad? I'm in the Guard now, so I don't know-I have recently had experiences which both suggest and deny that active duty morale is low.

For: there was recently an article printed about a survey of AD CPT/MAJ at FT Leavenworth, the results of which implied that morale is extremely low, primarily because officers don't respect the higher ranks(both military and civilian). There was mention of the higher OPTEMPO and changing missions, but those weren't the primary reasons.

In addition, two years ago I taught ROTC candidates at Ft Lewis near Seattle. I was working with AD infantry soldiers (not so many officers). It was pretty common to hear AD NCOs getting out because 'the army had changed.' It had lost its warrior spirit, too PC, etc. This was right at the time when the 'time out' cards were being issued at basic training, and those trainees were just starting to arrive at their units.

Against: I just ran into an old ROTC colleague who is still on AD-SF, with the 18th airborne corps. He seemed to think that morale was still fine (though he has spent his whole career in the 18th-about as high of esprit de corps as our military has).

So I am very curious if any current or recent soldiers have any opinions on the issue?

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Stephen,

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I'm not sure why Charlie D228 (or whoever it was)was banned for posting the link to this article<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Because that is ALL Delta Charlie has ever done. He drops in about once a month to post about some sort of big controversy in the hopes that people will start to have heated debates and go for each other's throats (at least that is the only thing I can think of). He has not posted here for anything CM related that I can remember (19 total posts over a 9 month period tells you something)

This latest post was more mild than some of his other ones, but he was repeatedly warned that this was not some sort of pot for him to stir up at will. He was asked to either take part in the discussions about CM like everybody else or to refrain from posting at all. The degree of interest one might have in this article is inmaterial.

Although this topic is about as off topic as they get, I will allow this thread to remain open for a little while at least. But expect that it will be closed up sooner rather than later.

Steve