Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Unable to reload .bms files for PBM games :(

Guest Mikeman

Guest Mikeman

Anybody have a clue as to why, when I click on a .bms file to reload a PBM game, the file just disappears under my cursor and doesn't load the game?

I tried reinstalling TacOps with 3.01 Upgrade, and still nothing. I have two successfully started games in progress with 3.01, but my latest start won't let me reload. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Mikeman out.

Guest Mikeman

After quite a bit of time and frustration I've answered my own question. I thought it would be worth a post in case anyone else runs into this problem.

If you encounter the problem described in the above post just make sure the original scenario file is in the same folder as the .bms (.rms) file that the program is having trouble recognizing. I mean the exact folder, no subfolders.

I have not had this problem with all my PBEM games started with 3.01. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. To be on the safe side I would suggest ALWAYS placing a copy of the original scenario file in the folder you use to store a particular PBM game's .bms (.rms) files.

P.S. If you haven't tried TacOps against another human you haven't had the full TacOps experience, even though the AI is very good. Give it a shot!

Mikeman out.

Guest MajorH

My best guess is that you may be using different TacOps, scenario, and map folder names from what the installer originally created and that TacOps isn't dealing well with your choices. Knowing how you have chosen to configure your TacOps installation might help me do something better in a future update.

If you have the time, please send me a note describing the step wise process that leads up to this happening. Please include the names of the various directories that you are using for that game session - i.e. where is the saved game file, the scenario file, and the map file when this happens.

How deeply is the TacOps folder buried on your hard drive? I mean is it at the root level of your hard drive or is it inside of af a folder that is inside of a folder, etc? It is possible that a really long sequence of folder names could be blowing some character array in TacOps that is not expecting a file path name to be so long.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh@mac.com