Is this modeled?

I described this feature of the game on a earlier post but. Some people had problems understanding what I was on about.

So I have modified some pictures as an example.

slopedtigerII.jpg

The Red areas are significant because they are facing the front of the vehicle. In fact on the tiger II they account for a significant perportion of the front of the vehicle.

They are 80mm thick. The compound angle of the two slopes towards the front of the vehicle is about 71@.

This results in a LOS thickness of 250+mm, taking the slope modifiers used in the games for a conventional shell and a APDS round this gives a thickness

393mm conventional

615mm tungsten

of constants (1.41 and 1.11)

Or unpenetrable from this angle. By non APFSDS rounds.

AS can be seen from the picture it shows that at best you should only have a 40% chance of a head on penetration of a TigerII. However conversly at an angle there will be greater chance due to armour less sloped when viewed front thaat angle.

So the question is, is this modelled in the game?

And if it isn't will it be in CM 2?

[This message has been edited by Dan Robertson (edited 12-03-2000).]

Yes, all modeled.

Since the game deals with all fire using a 3d physics engine it has to be, let me explain.

If you're firring at dead straight on, level with the Tiger 2, then all those angles and thickness you mention come into play and you can watch shell after shell bounce off the front of the tank.

If you approach it from an angle, or the turret is turned to the side, well things are different.

Imagine an Hellcat or some such on a hill looking down on a Tiger 2 whose turret is turned to the side. End result may be an shot at the Tiger where the side of the turret armor is nearly at 90 degrees to the incomming shell, and *pop*, dead Tiger 2.

Conversely, a hull down Tiger 2 which is on a slight slope would result in an even worse position for the allied tanker. Not only is there not much of the Tiger to see, but the armor it can see is even more sloped due to the hill it's on. Many many richochets will be seen.

I've seen even shermans bounce several shells from German tanks simply because of a steep hull down position resulting in increased angle of armor to incoming shell. It's great fun to watch shells slide off their armor for a change, hehe.

Hope that answers your question.

O, just thought, is the compound angle modified? ie. that different sections of the front of the turret are modelled at different with a different thickness. Not sure myself. In game, the turret thickness is listed as 185mm at 10 degrees

PeterNZ

------------------

"I can be quite pleasant, you know" - Andreas

"WHERE'S THE MOAT?!" - Jon

[This message has been edited by PeterNZer (edited 12-03-2000).]

Well as I said before, BTS has modeled slope in the armor. It has also modeled the angle of attack of a shell hitting that sloped armor. So everything that you speak of *is* modeled.

Trust us, BTS did a *lot* of research when building this game. They even went to live fire test shoots of small arms within the game. There's a video clip on the main site of Steve shooting a flamethrower. Trust me, "they" did their homework.

------------------

"We're not gonna just shoot the bastards`, we're gonna cut out their living guts, and use them to grease the treads of our tanks."

"We're going to murder those lousey hun bastards by the buschel."

"The Nazis are the enemy, wade into them,

spill their blood, shoot them in the belly."

"We are not holding our position, let the hun do that."

"We are advancing constantly, we are not interested in holding onto anything except the enemy."

"We're gonna hold onto him by the nose, and we're gonna kick him in the ass."

"We're gonna kick the hell out of him all the time, and we're going to go through him like crap through a goose."--George S. Patton