Team Krempp

L.Tankersley

I'm curious to hear how (or if) people are beating the Team Krempp (I think) scenario. This is the one where the US light infantry platoon has to clear an OPFOR BTR infantry platoon off a hill. Looking at the scenario, the forces are roughly equal (US: 3 squads, 2 MGs, 2 Javelins, a HMMWV mortar section; OPFOR: 3 BTRs, 3 squads, and a grenade launcher-ish thing (APG17?) - maybe a SAM team as well). But the US forces have to cross open ground and assault dug-in defenders in a treeline with limited time (either 45 min or an hour to go a couple kilometers IIRC).

Depending on the OPFOR setup, the US forces can get to the hill and cross the crest line more or less simultaneously, but after that my offensives generally stall. I've tried using smoke from the mortars to screen an advance but the smoke doesn't last long enough and there aren't sufficient rounds available to maintain a screen wide enough to protect the troops sufficiently.

Any advice or suggestions?

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Dear Mr. Tankersley:

The light infantry scenario you are talking about has "optional forces" for the US side. One is a tank platoon, the other an armored infantry platoon. With either of those, you should be able to accomplish the mission, without too much difficulty.

Without them, it is essentially impossible in my experience as well. Best I've done without the armor aids is getting about 1/2 the Opfor force by the time limit.

Sorta shows why we have armor in real life, doesn't it?

Sincerely,

Jason Cawley

What I ususally do is place my javelins and occasionally my MG teams on the treeline along the southern ridge (that half-hill). They provide overwatch fires and make it easy to pick off the BTRs after they shoot a burst or two.

My infantry squads usually move to the north and infiltrate the north-west corner of the defended hilltop - driving right into the woodline. Any identified OpFor positions are hit with mortars (or at least have a 4 or 5 level TRP put on them).

Violence and speed are required to win this scenario - use your infantry squads together with all three assaulting the same enemy position. Use mortar smoke to isolate enemy positions.

Hope this helps.

I've actually beaten those lousy Reds with the standard kit (about 1 out of 50 tries)

I've found the best trick is to set up the two javelins on the right flank, send the squads up the middle and the left.

smoke is imperative in the initial phases - I split the mortars to allow for twice the smoke.

once I find the grenade launcher I then concentrate fire on that position until it dies.

It generally boils down to one 2-4 man section left slogging it out.

best of luck - I think it's the best scenario in the game

[This message has been edited by Sunray2061 (edited 03-15-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Sunray2061 (edited 03-15-2000).]