Fact about boarding troup on vehicule

frag

I like to board troup on vehicule to move them fast on the battlefield. But I hate to wait the other turn to tell them to disembark.

By example, I send a tank at fast speed for crossing an open area of the battlefield and want my riffle unit to disembark rapidly to take cover in a fox hole. I have to wait to the next turn, for disembarking my unit from the tank ... fatal, most of the time.

Is there any way to "preprogram" the disembark of the troup?

Once the guys are on the tank, just tell them to disembark at the foxhole. They wont get off unless the tank is stopped so just order the tank to stop wherever you want them to get off.

If your talking about the tank moving, stopping and letting the men off then start moving again all in the same round. I dont think there is a way to do it. Not one that I know of anyway smile.gif

frag:

There's no need to wait till the vehicle has reached its destination before telling the embarked troops where you want them to hop off to once stopped.

Give the troops a move (disembark) order to the spot you want them to move to while they are still embarked. When the vehicle reaches it's destination they will jump off and move to the point you ordered. Ideally this should be close to where the vehicle will end it's move.

For instance, to conduct a pre-programmed blitzkrieg attack on a position with halftracks, move them to the blind side of a house with the infantry on the halftrack already ordered to move inside the house. When (if) the halftrack reaches the side of the house, the infantry will automatically jump out and try to enter the house. They will jump off immediately without waiting for further orders.

-Ren

Additional notes to the above: you don't actually need to stop but you can't be moving at Fast speed. If you want to keep the vehicles moving (e.g.to get them out of harm's way quickly) you can shift them to Move speed briefly right at the point you want the troops to disembark. I find that having the vehicles turn around a bit at Move speed pretty much guarantees the infantry will have enough time to get out. It also helps if the disembark movement order for the infantry is to a point as close as possible to the vehicle's track. You can issue additional movement waypoints to get away from the vehicle if needed.

------------------

Leland J. Tankersley

Guest Scott Clinton

The best way I have found is if the move you have planned for your vehicle is three or more turns long plot your move TO the drop location one turn.

Then when while the vehicle in in transit to the drop point plot the infantry to 'jump off' (be sure to make the first waypoint VERY close to current end point of the vehicle). Then, plot the rest of the vehicle's movement.

The vehicle will pause at the drop point between orders. The lenght of time depends on the vehicles training level but will always be enough for the infantry to jump off AFAIK.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

[This message has been edited by Scott Clinton (edited 09-13-2000).]