A somewhat newbie question.....

Wampit

Ok...I can generally slaughter the Germans in most scenarios weighted towards the allies but I remain perplexed about one issue - abandoned vehicles. Obviously if a vehicle is hit and useless the crew bolts, but it would appear that the crew sometimes bolts even when the vehicle is intact (please correct me if I'm wrong here). The appearance of an overwhelming force on the other side or battle fatigue I assume are the causes of this. The problem is that the game gives me no indication that this is going to occur with any particular vehicle. I've taken to withdrawing vehicles that have seen heavy action for a few turns so that they can recuperate. Can anyone give me the rules as to how vehicle abandonment works??

Wampit

The vehicles that I see abandoned rather alot are the half-tracks. On closer examination, I could see in the replay where gernades had been tossed onto/into the vehicle. I imagine flat tires, broken tracks, etc are caused by this and small arms fire as well.

-johnS

Crews of soft vehicles, and unarmed vehicles, will abandon them at the drop of a hat. HTs (especially german ones) are very allergic to .50 cal fire, and a few shots from a .50 will cause them to be abandoned. Note that the .50 was mounted on everything, including bicycles, push-scooters, skateboards, roller skates, hamsters, gerbils, dormice, etc.

German armored cars hold up much better against the .50.

Trucks and jeeps aren't designed to survive a firefight, so crews tend to abandon them if the enemy so much as waves. Keep them out of sight of the enemy at all times.

David

------------------

Major General Maxwell Taylor found himself with several officers but only two or three enlisted men. "Never," he told them, "have so few been commanded by so many."

Flamethrowers can induce a crew to leave their tank without setting it on fire or injuring any of them. Saw a PzIV crew bail when they were ambushed by a flamethrower - no damage reported but they got out really fast lol. Also turned back 2 squads coming with it, they just spun on their heels. Fairly amusing.