Off Topic: For Germanboy re: Macallan's 25 yr old

The brief summation is that it is not worth it, in comparison to the 18, 15, and 12 yr old Macallan's. As a matter of fact, I would take standard Laphroaig, Lagavulin, Talisker or even 10 yr old Balvenie. Factor in the price ($289 Cdn), and there really is no contest.

Now, the caveat is that it was my 40th birthday over the weekend, and a lot of pale ale, Steinlager and Glenfiddich was also consumed, so my tasting notes are based entirely on a foggy memory. I'm also told that I jumped off the roof of a house into a pool, so take this with a grain of salt.

Colour: very dark orange, bordering on a firebrick red.

Aroma: initially it reminded me of candied ginger, followed up very quickly by a strong treacally smell. Sherry there? Not surprising since I think that all of the Macallan's is aged in imported sherry oak casks.

Taste: well, this was quite a disappointment. I picked up a little bit of vanilla, ginger and sherry, but it faded unbelievably fast.

I expect a lot from my scotches; including complexity, depth, and a lingering aftertaste. I got none of that from the 25 yr old. Unfortunately, I can't convince myself that my lack of appreciation is not due to the other liquors that were consumed (this is really a fuzzy point for me after the weekend), and I'll probably be stupid enough to try it again.

5m

I tried Macallan when I was on the East Coast a couple weeks back.

Wasn't impressed.

50, I agree with you. Give me Laphroaig or Lagavulin any day.

------------------

"Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?" — Oddball

"Crap." — Moriarty

I really did enjoy the 18 year Macallan when I sampled it on my last birthday: however I really don't think it compares with the Laphroig. I have not tried *blush* the Lagavulin, tho I have noted a bottle of 18 year at the store that is highly tempting for sure. Question #1: should I spend the $50 and get it? and Question #2: Not being impressed with the Macallan's what would one recommend as the best of the less peaty types?

------------------

As the victors define history, so does the majority define sanity...

Guest Germanboy

50ml, thanks for the info. Very interesting. Sounds like the sampling procedure was quite a drag, that must have been hard on you. Let me know if you revisit it. I looked at a bottle in a duty free in Lyon airport, but FF680 was more than I was willing to spend. Got a bottle of Laphroaig instead. Being the generally risk-averse guy that I am.

BasilD - what do you mean you have not tried Lagavulin? How dare you post here? Just kidding. I'd say it is worth spending $50 on the bottle. Hmm, best of the non-peaty types. So long that I have drunk them. Aberlour 100? proof is quite nice, I find. It has quite a kick to it though. Don't even bother with the 43% ordinary alcohol level one, use it to light a fire.

------------------

Andreas

Best of the non-peaties?? Try Glenmorangie 18-year old (or the 100 proof). Also, Craigellachie is nice if you like your malts a bit lighter. It's hard to find outside of the UK, I think.

Has anybody tried the Glendronach? I got some at my last trip through duty-free, and haven't broached it yet.

Still luvin' the Lagavulin

------------------

Ethan

-----------

Das also war des Pudels Kern! -- Goethe

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Hakko Ichiu:

Has anybody tried the Glendronach? I got some at my last trip through duty-free, and haven't broached it yet.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

According to a friend of mine (who got me hooked on Whisky in the first place, the bastard), the current Glendronach is decent, but by no means as good as the one they phased out about 7 or 8 years ago, when they introduced the 199 different varieties (aged in Sherry, Port, Concrete casks). It was a bit older then when they bottled, I think they decreased maturity by two years, IIRC for the run-off-the-mill entry-level bottle. Don't know about the specials. Let me know what you think of yours.

------------------

Andreas