Radio Contact; Tank Crews

Guest Robert Ingoglia

Guest Robert Ingoglia

Is it standard policy for all infantry squads to carry radios? I have always been a little confused as to how a TacOps unit (say with only one person left) can call in artillery strikes -- or the larger issue -- allow me (the player) to see units that the counter could see. How about randomizing damage to infantry units to include radio destruction (or non-operation)? How about the same thing for vehicles?

I have always wanted to see tank crews represented in TacOps (as they are in AH's squad leader). It would certainly allow for more excitement when recovering damaged AFVs (and console me with the fact that I saved some of the crew).

> Is it standard policy for all infantry squads to carry

> radios?

Yes - for most Western armies. There are so many radios available today that constant effort has to be put into making people not use them - i.e. emission discipline. OPFOR probably should not be so well equipped but I didn't think it was worth the extra complexity in the code.

> I have always been a little confused as to how a TacOps unit

> (say with only one person left) can call in artillery

> strikes -- or the larger issue -- allow me (the player) to

> see units that the counter could see.

Both abstractions are driven mainly by the grand tactical scale of TacOps and to a lesser degree by a desire to reduce multiple searches all the way through the unit list during the combat phase. Now that CPU speeds are way up I could probably afford to do a second spotting check to determine the quality and capability of the best possible spotter and then adjust the timing and accuracy of the arty service somewhat. Not for this release though.

> How about randomizing damage to infantry units to include

> radio destruction (or non-operation)? How about the same

> thing for vehicles?

There are a huge number of radios and frequencies in use on a modern battlefield. A unit marker can represent 1 to 15 squads/vehicles. A single unit could be carrying multiples of several different kinds of radios. Tracking all that would get extremely complex - code wise - and would greatly enlarge the unit data being tracked.

> I have always wanted to see tank crews represented in TacOps

> (as they are in AH's squad leader). It would certainly

> allow for more excitement when recovering damaged AFVs (and

> console me with the fact that I saved some of the crew).

I don't think orphaned vehicle crews should be significant given the grand tactical scale of a typical TacOps scenario. I don't think that recently orphaned vehicle crews would usually be inclined to immediately continue the battale as poorly armed and poorly trained infantry. I think they would either hang around their vehicle to await pickup or they would try to escape and evade.

------------------

Best regards, Major H

majorh1@aol.com