My most stupid move

My own 155mm FO just nuked himself. I mean whacking your own troops happens, but the FO? By accident?

Basically he needed to move while the strike was in progress. It was a tight mission, but I don't use big arty much and there looked like plenty of room. The strike kept going and a "near miss" knocked him backwards- end of strike. It must also have wiped a dozen other guys in the general AO.

Note to self: give 155s more respect.

Guest *Captain Foobar*

This is an excellent thread.

I have done all of these things, except for the reverse armor assault. But I have to say my most burning hatred towards myself is when I have to move armor across the map, right or left, and I end up getting a heavily armored vehicle toasted by a side or rear penetration.

Yeah, I got a dumb one. Here it is:

I designed an operation called "Stoumont", about Kampfgruppe Peiper's two days of hell in the Ambleve River Valley. I read MULTIPLE historical resources, studied maps, OBs, etc., and designed the whole thing from scratch. I know where all the troops are, where they deployed, etc.

so, just for fun, I thought I would play the Germans and let the computer setup the Americans (free deploymen). Then, I promptly got my ass kicked. By my own scenario.

Lame.

Frank

Great thread,

Whilst playing Kwazy's excellent "All or Nothing Scenario"...

SPOLIER WARNING***********

... which is a huge scenario involving a lot of micromanaged movement for Infantry and Armour alike... I had to sneak a FO over a hill to call down smoke between my advancing units and the german AT-units.

Well, I selected a likely looking unit (155 mm I believe) and started sneaking up the hill, dodging enemy arty and mines with great skill (yeah, right...).

Finally I get the unit in position, exactly the right LOS and so forth... so I try to order the fire mission only to discover the the "#¤%¤# unit is actually the last surving member of an infantry squad that had appearently retreated partway up the same hill my FO was climbing and somewhere I'd gotten the two mixed up...

Before I could get the real FO into position the Computer had spotted my collection of mechanised troops and armor waiting for the smoke to charge...and called down the mother of all arty strikes on them...

I didn't even wait for the end screen, I just turned off the damn thing and went to bed with a book on gardening...

-Derfel

------------------

The only problem for a cobra attacking small furry animals is that occasionally one of them will turn out to be a mongoose...

[This message has been edited by Derfel (edited 09-03-2000).]

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Derfel:

Finally I get the unit in position, exactly the right LOS and so forth... so I try to order the fire mission only to discover the the "#¤%¤# unit is actually the last surving member of an infantry squad that had appearently retreated partway up the same hill my FO was climbing and somewhere I'd gotten the two mixed up...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROTFL...I hafta say that on my laughing meter, this one takes the cake...Ouch my poor ribs!.. biggrin.gif

Henri

Lol u guys. I still have one recurring problem that I do once in awhile and that is when I need to rotate an AFV immediately to point towards an oncoming enemy. I'll carefully plan the perfect angle for a couple minutes, then at the last second forget sanity and issue a movement (usually reverse) order to do the pointing instead. Of course I have forgotten about the delay (duh!) an the unit gets wiped the next turn. smile.gif

------------------

Thanks for Athskin!