Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sytem Requirements

Guest Thumper

Guest Thumper

Now, I know I will have several dozen people telling me "USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION" but I already have and I really haven't found what I wanted. What are the realistic system requirements for the game (someone tells me that an 850mhertz PIII with 10 to the 6th megs of ram works well and I swear I will cyber-slap them....:P)? I have a PII 350 with 64meg RAM and an 8meg Voodoo II card, is this a reasonable system? What to upgrade, RAM or video card? I appreciate any help in advance.

P.S. BTS, CM is the only I have played that I really enjoyed playing the Allies, great work.

Guest KwazyDog

Thumper, your system will run most battles fine. For the larger ones you may notice a little slow down, but in general the game should still be playable.

As for upgrades, Id go for a video card first, making sure you get one with 32mb to handle all of the textures well (8mb is on the low side). Next, Id say the processor, then RAM (128 is nice but not essential)

Hope that helps wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Thumper:

What are the realistic system requirements for the game (someone tells me that an 850mhertz PIII with 10 to the 6th megs of ram <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, that system would be ok at the entry level....

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> I have a PII 350 with 64meg RAM and an 8meg Voodoo II card, is this a reasonable system? What to upgrade, RAM or video card? I appreciate any help in advance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Kidding... Your system is fine. For a low level upgrade I would think RAM. There are many here that think that detail is more important than smooth animations and fast turn resolution and would suggest a video upgrade for the sharpest image possible (by going with a video card that wil give you 32bit color like a TNT2 or something). At the end of the day, the thing to upgrade is going to be whatever you think is more important.

I started playing the demo with a K-6 400 - 128 meg - Voodoo Banshee video and it played just fine.

Guest KwazyDog

Actually, I suggested a video card to speed up frame rate as well as improve image quality. smile.gif

As long as your system is well configured the different between 64 to 128 mb of RAM shouldnt be noticable in CM (if CM is all that you are running on the system as that moment).

A new video card, such as a 32mb TNT2 M64 for around the $100 US (just guessing, but they are only $170 in Aust) will not only allow for higher quality textures in CM, but will indeed incease performance somewhat. wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Actually, I suggested a video card to speed up frame rate as well as improve image quality. smile.gif

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ya think it matters that much? I didn't really see a difference between my Banshee (a stripped down Voodoo2) and Geforce in framerate (maybe becasue I was already running more than fast enough with a K-6 400 and 128/mb ram)... THough I'm sure that the better video system will come in handy in the release when 32bit textures, larger maps, and busier battlefields may bog a slower card down. Thumper was asking about single upgrade... You;ve played the latest version, so you have that on me.

Guest Kettle Black

Thumper,

I'm playing the beta demo on a P166 and a voodoo1 card and 64Mb RAM...

It runs OK, hasn't crashed even once. The finished game may or may not work on this machine but I fail to see that your sys should have any problems running it. Maybe with all eye-candy maxed out you might experience slower performance but so what?

K-B

"It's a mother-beatiful game... It'll be there."

Oh ya! Well I got a 166 w 32mb with NO 3d card and I find the demo quite useable. I am going for a Voodoo 2 though for the real thing. smile.gif

P.S. I'd kill to have 1/2 what you got. ( and there would be a body marker) biggrin.gif

Guest Ol' Blood & Guts

The ironic thing is that a PIII-500 system goes for less than $1000 US now.

I have a Celeron-433 w/128MB RAM, 32MB TNT2 Ultra, and beta ran fine. Framerates did get a little slow when spinning around in a occupied building, but I suspect that is due to less-than-optimized code in the beta. But as far as flying across the battlefield or spinning around tanks or whatever, it was extremely smooth. The movie files played out extremely well. Flashes & Bangs were rather fast, in deed.

I even don't have my video card set up right. (jumper settings) Its got 4x AGP, I don't have 4x AGP, I've got it set for 4x AGP, and I haven't gotten around to set it back to 2x AGP. It should run even better when I do that. Waiting for when I break down and buy a new SoundBlaster Live!

Guest KwazyDog

"Ya think it matters that much? "

I guess it does and dosnt Compassion depending how important a smooth playback is to you. I think you will find that a good portion of the scenarios included with the game will play fine if you can play the demo well. Id suggest the beta demo scenarios are ranging from the medium to the small size.

When you get into the larger scenarios you may find some slow down on slower systems. My system is a P3-600 with a TNT2 and I have played probably 1, maybe 2 scenarios than slow it down to the point where you notice it. There was probably 20-30 vehicles and a battalion of troops on the screen in the rain on a larger map though, so that isnt too bad. smile.gif There are also ways you can speed playback up too, such as limiting the horizon range, toggling tree, etc etc.

I guess it comes down to preferences smile.gif Personally I think the biggest 'bang for buck' upgrade to thumpers system probably would be a reasonably priced video card.

Someone mentioned 32-bit color.

Will CM in fact have a display mode supporting 32-bit color? And what will the highest supported resolution be? Now that I think of it someone mentioned that it simply adopts whatever screen res you are running on the desktop. Wonder if this applies to colors-displayed as well.

-Ren