CM: Fire and Rescue

I'm a volunteer fireman. Fighting fires and fighting people have a lot in common. Both are dangerous, both require the use of good small unit tactics and supporting arms, both require much attention to be paid to terrain, etc. Anyway, it hit me that the CM engine, with some modifications, would make a great training aid for firefighters, and a great educational game for everybody else.

I'm serious here. Add multi-story buildings and a more detailed model of fire behavior and you'd pretty much have it. The LOS and FOW system would be great for trying to find victims in smoke-filled buildings. Grunt teams for hose teams and rescue teams, just give them timers for their air supply and make them have to drag charged hoses up stairs and around corners--the game already has slow grunts who get tired easily wink.gif. And vehicles already have a system that could be used for a deck gun water cannon and ammo supply (aka water tank capacity). You'd just need to add some pump capacity, the ability to use hydrants, nurse off tankers, draft from ponds, run multiple hoses, etc.

Have a scenario/unit editor so that users could configure the firefighting assets to match their own department, both as to vehicles and personnel. Also, make the building system flexible so that users could model typical buildings in their area fairly well.

Anyway, I think this would be a great application of the CM engine. If you sold it for about the same price as a regular CM wargame, you'd have departments lining up to buy copies for their troops. Sure, it wouldn't replace actually going to burn buildings for livefire training, but it would give good tactical training (especially for things like ventilation that you can't do well in burn buildings) when there's no time or money to do livefire. Plus I'm sure civilians would be interested also.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And to keep the wargame flavor you could have a firefighters in the battle of Britain<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You've obviously never fought a fire smile.gif They call it fire FIGHTING for a reason.

Besides, I'm trying to be serious here. This wouldn't be aimed at the wargaming crowd, it would be aimed at working firemen and others with an interest in fire safety. As such, only modern firefighting stuff is applicable.

Think of it. This would be very good PR for BTS (not to mention possibly a tax break) and wargaming in general. Imagine the headlines: Wargamers Not Geeks, Actually Care About Society. Or FIREMAN OWES LIFE TO GAME COMPANY.

------------------

-Bullethead

It was a common custom at that time, in the more romantic females, to see their soldier husbands and sweethearts as Greek heroes, instead of the whoremongering, drunken clowns most of them were. However, the Greek heroes were probably no better, so it was not so far off the mark--Flashman