A Couple of Vids About Tristan da Cunha

Rob2020

A trip to the island of Tristan da Cuhna must be the trip of a lifetime, located as it is in the middle of the South Atlantic, roughly equidistant from Africa and South America, and even more remote than the better known St. Helena. Here are two beautiful videos of the island.

Tristan da Cunha - No Place Like Home is a 1989, hour-long episode of the Public Broadcasting Service's old Travels series, presented by John Heminway. The vid includes a stopover at St. Helena, with a visit to Longwood House. Time flies, and all of the younger people seen in this video are now old men and women in their 60s and 70s.

I love the accompanying music, which I think is entitled The Water Is Wide, but after many different searches haven't been able to find this particular recording anywhere - it's one of those decades-long musical quests, of which I've had a couple over the years. I've even contacted Mr. Heminway himself a few years ago, but didn't get much of a useful response.

A more recent vid is Tristan da Cunha 2016, and there are a good number of additional vids about the island on YT.

Edited by Rob2020