Playing at work?!?!

Guest kking199

Guest kking199

I was cranking up a new game and the subject of playing CM at work came up. I was curious how many guys out there are playing at work?!?! Been caught?? Do you not use sound?!?! I would not enjoy it much without the sound.

Oh.. I know a lot of you use and know this already but for those who don't sending files using ICQ is awesome. My e-mail may get left by the wayside...

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I dare not install CM on my office PC....not good for my future career prospects smile.gif

I do use my spare moments at work to scan this forum though.

420 & Griffin.....i will be in H Kong from December 4th until the 7th.....did you guys mention a LAN ??? wink.gif Maybe a meeting could take place over a cup of Long Jing Cha ?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kking199:

I was cranking up a new game and the subject of playing CM at work came up. I was curious how many guys out there are playing at work?!?! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I am in an especially exciting pbm.... or last week I played a few turns in a little Tournament with the NorCal guys wile at work. My laptop plays the game well, but I prefer to play at home as the puny S3 Savage Mobile video chipset is slooooooowwww. Looks nice, but with highres textures it becomes a slideshow.

But sometimes you just have to do it.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Been caught?? Do you not use sound?!?! I would not enjoy it much without the sound.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Headphones, my man!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Oh.. I know a lot of you use and know this already but for those who don't sending files using ICQ is awesome. My e-mail may get left by the wayside... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

...unless you work in an office with a burly firewall with whatever port that ICQ uses closed.

In that case, a nice web based throw away mail account is nice.

Ha, looks like we can start a Greater China Area Chapter of CM. Just kidding, really biggrin.gif

BTW, 420, I have send u a mail about PBEM game yesterday. Please check. I think we better start our conversation over there. And BTW, I live in Peng Chau. 45-min trip is never enough even for the Tutorial.

CDIC, excellent you are coming ot HKG again. Now I can beat you on the face. tongue.gif My notebook have a built-in 10-base-T port but I am not sure about the networking issue here -- I mean over your notebook. Actually I strongly suggest you use your lunch time to play a PBEM or two. It speeds things up. Personally, I am not very fond of Chinese tea, I like English tea (black tea favor to be exact). But I am not sure if we can find a good resturant for Long Jing (or in Cantonese Lung Chang), I have to dig out my resturant guides at home. Stay tuned.

See ya all.

Griffin -- just awake from sleep...

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by kking199:

I was cranking up a new game and the subject of playing CM at work came up. I was curious how many guys out there are playing at work?!?! Been caught??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I just can't bring myself to actually play a deep game like CM (or my latest one, which is maybe deeper, but in a different way, Space Empires IV) at work, due to the concentration required. Maybe that's one of the strengths of FPS's (which I do sometimes enjoy). But, for "real" games, it takes me a minute to orient myself to the situation, a minute or two to evaluate it, and a couple of minutes to implement my response. That is, Combat Mission is pretty much a real RTS, since I take about as much time as a company commander would to evaluate and respond to the situation. This reminds me of why I'm doing the work that I am.

Besides, when I'm at work, I'm in work-mode; ready to earn my pay with quality typeset/output.

Twitch-reflex stuff like Quake III? Sure. I might find time for something like that, since it's so short. But Quake barely qualifies as a "game" when stacked against real games like SE IV and CM. Quake seems more like a mouse diagnostic compared to them wink.gif.

[This message has been edited by WendellM (edited 11-23-2000).]

Yup, I bring my CD to work every day and play during my lunch hour and usually for another hour or two as PBEMs come in. Playing during lunch is OK, but I always manage to fire it up at other times.

There was a crackdown a while back on people playing games at work (a bunch of us were playing Shogun) so now I'm one of the few who dares to. My computer screen doesn't face a traffic area, so I can keep my CM habit under wraps.

Matt

OT: About FPS in office:

I have came across a client with the boss, and his son, who was a BIG fan of Quake (yes the original) and he actually ordered a Linux (RedHat 4.1) server installed just for Quake server when we later found that WinNT does the job just right, especially for the official mod from Activision. After that we played DM when we had time -- during lunch, after 2000hrs, etc. Oh, did I tell you how cool proximity generade was?

( Better cut this short or somebody will complain... tongue.gif )

Griffin

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again frown.gif

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 11-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by GriffinCheng+ (edited 11-23-2000).]