State of Wargaming?

Hey everyone!

What do you people think the state that computer wargaming is in right now? It seems to me that we are in a slow evolution going from hex based strategy games (that the general computer player thinks is boring)to 'squad' level tactical games (that the gen com player thinks is exciting).

Also, why is it that generally one cannot be fans of both? I play and enjoy the qualities of both types, yet the typical wargamer frowns upon tactical games like close combat. Why?

Guest Scott Clinton

I think PC wargaming has never been better.

Having the big corporations and publishers drop out of PC wargaming and having smaller net based companies like BTS and Shrapnel Games come in and fill the niche may be the best thing that has happend to wargaming (not just PC wargaming) in several decades.

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

I've played quite a few wargames in the past and CM is the only one where i have actually felt involved in the action and seeing with my own eyes the consequences of how my tactics determine the outcome of engagements.

Watching how your men fight (and die) on a 3D virtual battlefield beats the living crap out of hex-based wargames IMO.

Five years ago, if you would have asked me about the state of computer wargaming, I would have told you that computer wargames were about 10 years behind the innovations in board wargames. With the release of CM, they have caught up and passed board wargames in innovation, and implementation.

I think that these web based companies offer the best hope for the continuation of wargaming as a hobby. But, I still have concerns about the financial stability of many of these companies given the small markets and long development times that more complex computer games will require.

I also worry about that some of these companies will become too successful attracting the unwanted attention of major software giants who will take them over and try to make their titles accessible(dumb them down) to the masses.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Pattison (edited 06-06-2000).]

Yeah, "Steve and Charles here are a few million dollars. Let us come in and make it possible for you to really do wargames with no finicial worries. And we can invest in success. Of course we will own 51% of the business, but you will continue just like you have with out the worries --- (Ha Ha, and next year your contract runs out, and we will boot out your ass and sell to the mass market suckers out there a version they can play without regard to so many inconvient constraints and lots more spectacular visuals, nevermind their historical aspects --- oh, and don't forget to put in the no competition clause.)"

Having played inummerable board games from the 70's on, I would say that computer wargaming is in a great position and evolving slowly. SP for me was a landmark in tactical wargames because it combined a believable system with what at that time was a good graphical interface. Items like the TS campaign series (or Tanks!) remind me of Panzer Blitz and all the spinoffs of that platoon level system. Operational Art of War was a huge step forward in a flexible wargame system at the operational and strategic level. That game and the platoon level games will continue to be popular - as will the hex grid as a regulator of movement and combat - for many years. Some people do not like battalion and smaller simulations and the hex grid suits that level of detail just fine.

CM takes battalion level of combat where it needs to go: into 3D with fluid motion, without the need for twitch ability. If CM is successful commercially, i.e. appeals to the non-wargaming community, we'll see more development of "true" wargames from the large houses.

I do believe extensible, user supported offerings such as SP and CM will be the bread and butter of the "grognard" community, while offerings such as Squad Leader from Hasbro will not be accepted into that niche but remain in that category of "appeal to the masses" type crowd (which is too bad since SAW made those compromises whereas 101 did not).

In other words, computer wargaming is wonderful. Rule enforcemer, book keeper, and sometimes capable opponent for those times you can't find a human. Things I would have given many dollars for in the 70's and 80's.

David