HELP!!!! I have to find this book!

My wife's uncle was in the 309th Regiment, 78th Infantry Division. He was KIA in Germany on 3/10/45. In an effort to pull together as much info regarding his experiences in the ETO, and the circumstances surrounding his demise, I've been researching like mad. I've managed to find some interesting things, but I'm hamstrung by my inability to find a reasonably priced (ie, less than $100.00) copy of this book:

Lightning: The History of the 78th Infantry Division.

Turner Publishing Company

ISBN: 1563112752

I've exhasted all the channels that I know about, including several specialty book stores. I ordered it from Barnes & Noble, but they were unable to secure a copy.

If anyone has any ideas about how to finally get this book (actually a holy grail at this point smile.gif ) please let me know. Thanks!

------------------

Rob Varak

Editor

Site on Sound: The Web's Premier Site For Musical Discussion www.siteonsound.com

[This message has been edited by RobVarak (edited 03-06-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RobVarak (edited 03-06-2000).]

Check this:

Lightning: The History of the 78th Infantry Division

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Cahn, T/4 Miles, and others (compiled and edited by) LIGHTNING: THE HISTORY OF THE 78TH INFANTRY DIVISION Durham, N.C. 78th Div. Veteran's Assoc. 1973 good condition. 2nd edition. 301 pp. illus., maps, spine rolled. Book # 010817 US$ 48.00 We will be unavailable to answer e-mail or ship books from March 8 through March 14. All mesages will be answered in the order received on March 15. Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from Old Army Books, KY, U.S.A.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Division Historical Association Lightning The History Of The 78th Infantry Division Washington Infantry Journal Press 1973. Very Good / No Dj. Minor Wear. The Division Fought In The Battle Of The Bulge. Photo Illustrated 2nd Edition Hardcover Book # 014465 US$ 50.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from McMeans Books. Jim and Judi McMeans, GA, U.S.A.

3. Lightning: the History of the 78th Infantry Division Infantry Journal Press, 1947, 312 pp. VG, 1st edition, slight rubbing, soiling and spotting, but a nice copy overall Book # TAP17 US$ 75.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from Aberdeen Bookstore, CO, U.S.A.

4. THE DIVISION HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION (EDITED BY) LIGHTNING-THE HISTORY OF THE 78TH INFANTRY DIV. 1947. Infantry Journal Press, US 1st edn, 301pp, cond vg, plates, maps, ROH, Honors and Awards, endpaper maps, slightly marked boards. A complete history with nominal roll. The Division, for the Ardennes offensive, was switched to VII Corps, and then to XIX Corps. This lasted until the 28th January 1945, and then the Division went on to capture Kesternich, and fight in the Ruhr, where they finished the war. They were the part of the Occupation forces. Book # WIIBK06811 US$ 167.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from WORLD WAR II BOOKS, SU, United Kingdom.

5. The Division Historical Association (Editors) Lightning: The History of the 78th Infantry Division Wash. Inf. Journal Press Washington, D.C. (1947) first edition Blue cloth 301pp. Ills., maps, appendices. Slightly rubbed on top and bottom of spine. N/F Book # 001394 US$ 125.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from Dennis Gilich Bookseller, WA, U.S.A.

6. LIGHTNING - THE HISTORY OF THE 78TH INFANTRY DIVISION INFANTRY, 1947 First Edition. SLT BOARD SOIL - CONTENTS FINE Book # 3625 US$ 55.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from ESCARGOT BOOKS, NJ, U.S.A.

7. Division Historical Association LIGHTNING HISTORY OF THE 78TH INFANTRY Infantry Journal Press 1947 Very Good with Unit insignia on front cloth Book # ABE-15894940 US$ 90.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from BLACK HORSE BOOKS, TX, U.S.A.

8. Division Historical Association Lightning, The History of the 78th Infantry Division Nashville, TN: Battery Press, 2000 313 pages, 137 photos, 16 drawings, 21 maps, 7" by 10" Reprint of the 1947 original done by Infantry Journal Press, Mint in plastic. Book # 2028 US$ 49.95 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from BATTERY BOOKSHOP AND PRESS, INC., TN, U.S.A.

9. 78th Div. Assoc. Lightning: History of the 78th Infantry Division. IJP, 1947. 301p. maps, Photos. NF Book # 28-509 US$ 110.00 Send me your e-mail address to get my next catalogue when it is issued. Recent catalogues viewable on my website. Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from Military Books, DC, U.S.A.

10. U.S. Army Combat Journal, The Story of the Timberwolf Regiment of the 78th Lightning Division in World War II, 1944-1945 Fulda: Parzeller & Co, 1945 142 pages, 8 1/2" by 11", photos, maps. overall very good. Part of the 78th Infantry Division. Book # 1450 US$ 110.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from BATTERY BOOKSHOP AND PRESS, INC., TN, U.S.A.

11. (Parker, Maj. Gen. Edwin P. Jr. (ed).). LIGHTNING, The History of the 78th Infantry Division. Infantry Journal Press: Washington (1947) . Numerous photos, 10 x 7", cloth, 301 w/ roster, EX-LIBRARY, covers a bit worn & spotted. FIRST EDITION. Book # 87-827 US$ 65.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from John K King Used & Rare Books, MI, U.S.A.

12. WORLD WAR II. Lightning. The history of the 78th Infantry Division. INFANTRY JOURNAL PRESS 1947. **. Washington D.C.: Infantry Journal Press, (1947). Sm.4to.Or.cl. (XIV,302pp.). With col. frontisp, full-page col. plates, num. photographic illusts, maps, and col. endpaper maps. 1st ed. NOTE: The 78th served with distinction in Europe during WWII. Book # 009690 US$ 100.00 Click here for more information or to purchase this book directly from Bryan Matthews, CA, U.S.A.

I found it at http://www.abebooks.com/

Ariel