F.O shell supply

Greetings,

About the availability of shells at an FO's disposal. In a real situation there is a set number of HE rounds, a set number of specific fuzes (Time, Point detonating, etc)per battery, per day in a combat load out. Smoke and illumination are two shells of which there are the fewest available unless specific requests are made in advance to support a specific operation. It appears that CM gives you a set number of rounds and they can be anything you want them to be when you decide to target the enemy with artillery. Not all that realistic but I am still happy with the way the designers have represented artillery in other ways. Hope that helped. Out here smile.gif

------------------

When the situation is obscure....attack!

CGen. Heinz Guderian

This is just a guess, but what I imagine the shells represent is not the total number of ammo that the battery has, but the amount of claim that the FO has on the battery's resources, including both ammo and time. Hence, whatever ammo the battery fires, you're asking them to devote to you scarce resources that are needed for other battles, prep bombardments, counter-battery, etc.

Or I could be totally wrong.

While there is a finite number of shells in the scenario for each FO it appears to be somewhat abstact since there is no break down per shell type. Yes, sometimes one FO can have more than one battery or even a battalion or larger of arty at his disposal. That would give access to more shells of each type...however smoke is still a very limited asset and ought to be used sparingly. A by shell availability for each FO might be something that BTS may want to look into for future updates and releases. Just a thought as there is a great deal of other realism built into the game.

Out here...

------------------

When the situation is obscure....attack!

CGen. Heinz Guderian