Tank Turret Facing Suggestion

Currently tank's turrets return to the front whenever they loose a target. Having the turret return to a pre-designated direction is not a bad thing, but how about some choices on the direction? There are names for this, but unfortunately I don't know them; but, I should be able to command my tank turret to return to front, front right quarter, right, right rear quarter, rear, etc. I think this would greatly enhance armor's capabilities.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"Once a Diceman, Always a Diceman."

Hi,

"Currently tank's turrets return to the front whenever they loose a target..."

This isn't 100% true ,or 60% wink.gif ... For a wile the tank "remembers" the direction of the last target

"...I should be able to command my tank turret to return to front, front right quarter, right, right rear quarter, rear, etc. I think this would greatly enhance armor's capabilities"

If it was YOUR tank, yes you should, but as it is your CREW's tank you can't...

João

PS-The Speel Check found no errors ...hmmm !?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tanaka:

Hi,

"Currently tank's turrets return to the front whenever they loose a target..."

This isn't 100% true ,or 60% wink.gif ... For a wile the tank "remembers" the direction of the last target<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, and this is good, but my suggestion bellow would enhance realism and add the ability to use the real world armor tactic of giving tanks turret facing commands.

"...I should be able to command my tank turret to return to front, front right quarter, right, right rear quarter, rear, etc. I think this would greatly enhance armor's capabilities"

If it was YOUR tank, yes you should, but as it is your CREW's tank you can't...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The tank platoon commander makes such decisions not the individual tank commanders, and since I am the tank crew, the tank commander, the platoon commander, the company commander, and the brigade commander all in one while playing this fine game your rebuttal is "non value added." It does however remind me of a point: tanks need command and control limitations similar to infantry. This will be especially important to simulate the lack of coordination between Russian tanks on the eastern front in CM2.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

"...I am the tank crew, the tank commander, the platoon commander, the company commander, and the brigade commander all in one ..."

It's here that our opinion diverge... For me I'm the platoon commander, the company commander, the brigade commander and not the crew, tank commander or the squad/team commander. ( I think that there are other games for that matter )

"...tanks need command and control limitations similar to infantry. This will be especially important to simulate the lack of coordination between Russian tanks on the eastern front in CM2."

hmmm... not a bad idea, but I think that would play a major role if the maps of CM were bigger. At the present they are a little small, I think, to simulate the lack of coordination between Russian tanks.

João

It's here that our opinion diverge... For me I'm the platoon commander, the company commander, the brigade commander and not the crew, tank commander or the squad/team commander. ( I think that there are other games for that matter )

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A legitimate point of view, but personally, the command and control limitations are insufficient for me to discount my control of the individual team, squad, tank. I'd like to see additional penalties for units out of contact with their CO but one would have to be careful not to damage game playability, or the "fun" factor.

Being slightly grogish, I'd like to see moral checks or some other such penalty for units out of contact with its CQ. For instance a squad out of contact would have to make a moral check before executing a movement plot. It would have to make another one before deliberately putting itself in harms way. Moral check failures would cause the unit to head toward the last known location of its CQ. If the unit couldn't find the CQ it would head toward a predesignated rallying point. This would really make command and control more critical to the game, and move more toward the level of command you suggested, which in my opinion may be a good thing. Don't know if the idea is worth BETA testing or not. I wonder what other people think.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

I'm not other people but they are free to join smile.gif

"...I'd like to see moral checks or some other such penalty for units out of contact with its HQ..."

You do know that, currently they don't lose moral but they don't gain any HQ bonus as well ?

HQ bonus

--> Faster reaction to your orders

--> Special bonus like Combat,Moral and Stealth

--> Less likely to panic

--> Faster they will go from panic to ok

João

Yes but the impact to my ability to launch a coordinated attack is minimal. I can still count on units out of contact to do exactly what I as a commander want them to do. If timing is crucial I only need to delay my in control units enough to match the delay of the out of control units. Highly self motivated bunch of troops one is under command of in this game. A truly minor niggle, but to better model the challenges of command, a system whereby troops may fail to take desired action when not being directly led should be considered.

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

FWIW - i suggested the following in several threads. see 10595 or 10611 in this forum. IMHO it would do what you want

however, the suggestion apparently faded into the ether. i never heard whether any BTS people or beta testers even read the suggestion. oh well

oh yeah - my suggested command's poorly named, i just wrote the first thing i thought of. any better names are welcome!

---------

watch direction/watch area. aim at and observe that direction, plus an arc to each side. works much like rotate. click is watch direction, control-click is watch the area control-clicked. the length of the bar from the unit to the pointer tells how much arc to watch or how large an area. shorter bar, more arc/larger area. longer bar, less arc/smaller area

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

At the moment we have a "Rotate" vehicle command - maybe we could have another command for "Rotate Turret" ?

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Diceman:

I can still count on units out of contact to do exactly what I as a commander want them to do.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No you can't. You can expect them to do as you want, but there's always a chance they won't, depending on troop quality and at TacAI's descretion...

I do agree that I as a player have a little more influence over petty details than ideal.

Cheers

Olle

Granted: I can still count on units out of contact to do exactly what I as a commander want them to do - until they start getting shot at, which is how CM models the effects of being out of contact. This is very good, but it would be more realistic for there to be a chance that directions were completely ignored by out of contact units. Frankly I'd have to play test this gaming hypothesis of mine before I decided it was a good or bad thing as far as game play is concerned; however, in my military experience, we always had our share of troops that required constant and direct supervision.

Getting back on topic: do we have any armor people out there that know the commands to tell a tank to point its gun in a certain direction? Found formation names, such as column, staggered column, wedge, echelon left, but what about commands for individual tanks?

------------------

Pair-O-Dice

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Diceman:

... it would be more realistic for there to be a chance that directions were completely ignored by out of contact units.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. I think this is how it's done right now, and not only for units out of contact.

Then how big this chance is, that's another story, and perhaps troops in general are a bit too willing to follow orders as is.

Cheers

Olle