Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Sherman armour supplement

I read recently re: the Canadian armoured regiments preferred loosely welded tank tracks as supplemental armour in lieu of officially sanctioned, strategically placed,welded plates.

These units ( my father-in-law was in 5th Canadian Armoured Div.,Holland) generally agreed the tracks provided an added measure of safety.

Almost all vehicle photos I've seen of Canadian Sherms show these welded track segments.

My question (if has not already been answered) is, have these measures been somehow calculated into the game mechanics or do all Shermans in the game represent 'off the lot specs'. Even so it would be nice to see these measures graphically represented in the gamen

tonester said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My question (if has not already been answered) is, have these measures been somehow calculated into the game mechanics or do all Shermans in the game represent 'off the lot specs'. Even so it would be nice to see these measures graphically represented in the gamen<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some US Shermans have a + after their designations, which means they have some sort of add-on armor. I believe this abstracts all types: plates, sandbags, track segments, etc. But I don't think the Brit Shermans have this advantage--I haven't seen a Sherman IV+ in the game, for example, and I'd have to check all the armor values to see if there are any differences from US models.

As to doing it graphically, maybe some mod maker will draw on extra tracks or sandbags or something. But lacking underlying polygons, such texture features probably wouldn't look good up close.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html

Bullethead is correct about the + indicating additional armor. As far as modifying the graphics you should check out CMHQ. Someone made a mode of a Hetzer which has branches attached to it. It looks pretty good from the angle the picture was taken. I suspect it doesn't look as good from other angles because the side of the Hetzer is modeled as being flat. I would therefore guess that it would be possible to add sandbags/ tracks to the front of the + Shermans if you are a good artist. These mods could look good if you look at the Sherman head on.

Theron

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Theron:

These mods could look good if you look at the Sherman head on.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you play as the Germans, it doesn't really matter what way you look at a Sherman, because it's dead no matter what. biggrin.gif

------------------

Well my skiff's a twenty dollar boat, And I hope to God she stays afloat.

But if somehow my skiff goes down, I'll freeze to death before I drown.

And pray my body will be found, Alaska salmon fishing, boys, Alaska salmon fishing.

-Commercial fishing in Kodiak, Alaska