Just bought a new PC to play CM...

Wesy

Well, it's really a gift for my wife, who feels disconnected with the high tech world. She has a government job, which doesn't allow for surfing smile.gif or email outside of the firewall...I work for a rather large software company based in the Northwest smile.gif please no flame, I'll even try and run CM on Whistler (I think it should run, since it runs on Win2K Pro)...Anyhow, here's my spec, and if there are any suggestions or issues that you may run into with my config, please comment (Clearly I'll upgrade my video card)...

Dell 4100

CPU - 866 Intel PIII

Video: 32MB Nvidia TNT2 (yes a bit old in the tooth, but will it run CM acceptably unti I upgrade my Video Card?)

HD - 20GB (7200 RPM ATA100)

RAM - 128MB

DVD, CDRW

56K winmodem

3Com 10/100 NIC

19" Flat Screen Dell Monitor

I just cant wait to get it...

------------------

If all men are brothers, like the seas throughout the world; So why do winds and waves clash so fiercely?"

- Emperor Hirohito (1940)

Guest MantaRay

Go out and burn that Winmodem, or Winslowem as I used to call mine. Other than that, nice rig for CM.

And buying a computer for the "Wife" that you intend to play CM may lead to regular fights over the computer, and cause you to sue for divorce on the common, "She wouldn't let me play enough turns" grounds.

And do not buy games for her like, The Sims, Rollercoaster Tycoon, or Myst. Then you will never see any turns of CM. I just tell my wife that they wont work on our PC. Yes, she knows I am lying, but I am bigger than her. smile.gif

Welcome to the community, you will be assimilated soon.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Guest MantaRay

Well then you are all set. Maybe in the future you can get another 128MB Ram, but CM will run great for ya.

Ray

------------------

When asked, "How many moves do you see ahead?", CAPABLANCA replied: "One move - the best one."

New CM Site. In process of switching. Brought to you by Hardcore Gamers Daily

The Red Army of the Rugged Defense Group Ladder

Wesy,

With the first build of Whistler, CM did NOT run. However, if on a newer build you may have better luck. I also didn't try on beta 22, I tried with a much earlier beta of CM. Let me know if you get it working...

Rune

I would suggest dropping the internal modem and buy a router for your DSL that has a serial connection and then hook up an external modem as a backup for when DSL is down. That way either PC can use the external modem without having both PC's turned on for ICS. SMC and Asante have broadband routers that have the serial connection for modem sharing.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by brooktrout:

I would suggest dropping the internal modem and buy a router for your DSL that has a serial connection and then hook up an external modem as a backup for when DSL is down. That way either PC can use the external modem without having both PC's turned on for ICS. SMC and Asante have broadband routers that have the serial connection for modem sharing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And don't forget the gigaplex of the gigahertz and the dual parallel port I/O and then use a common digi-converter to up your amptitude of the sin curve to enable superior ultra-hertz.

Geez! Ever see those commercials where someone is rattling off a bunch of Network related jargon that the ordinary human wouldn't have a clue to what they were talking about???

rolleyes.gif