Smoke is Cover and Concealment

Guest Pillar

It appears in CM Smoke acts as a physical barrier to not just sight, but rounds as well.

You can't even shoot into smoke.

DISC: Yes, I did a search.

[This message has been edited by Pillar (edited 09-29-2000).]

Well now I dunno. Piller has a point here. I'm in a match now where a US recon car spit out some smoke to cover itself. I had two guns trained on it, before the smoke hid it's view. Now, the gunners who had previously targeted it would have only had to pull the trigger and the rounds might have hit regardless of whether or not they could physically see the target at that point. True, it might have moved. But if so then the only loss would have been a shell or two. Now, if the smoke had been fired prior to the targeting, then I could see this. But not after. "The shields Mr. Scott, the shields..."

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 09-29-2000).]

I think Pillar has an IMPORTANT point. I've been frustrated by smoke many times. I just happened to read this thread after I read through the "My sharpshooter sucks" thread. I didn't mean offend anyone redface.gif, I was just trying to spread the merriment. Please forgive.

------------------

"Do not needlessly endanger your lives until I give you the signal"

Dwight D. Eisenhower

Guest Scott Clinton

There was a huge thread about this several months ago but I don't know its name and don't feel like searching... wink.gif

------------------

Please note: The above is solely the opinion of 'The Grumbling Grognard' and reflects no one else's views but his own.

No offense taken Oompa. Same here to anyone on any thread that I might have offended. Problem with email is that it doesn't convey facial expressions and tone of voice. Kinda like trying to listen to a radio tuned to three channels at the same time. I'm simply too old not to be opinionated, but not too old to know it. smile.gif

------------------

"Wer zuerst schiesst hat mehr von Leben"

Moto-(3./JG11 "Graf")

Bruno "Stachel" Weiss

[This message has been edited by Bruno Weiss (edited 09-29-2000).]

IMHO, we should make smoke just like any other type of concealment, and while the enemy may not be able to SEE into it, he should be able to area target into it.

see http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/006772.html

how about this in targeting: let a unit fire through smoke, fog, or night with the accuracy of area fire/unobserved fire. if a weapon hasn't moved since scenario start, its accuracy goes up. this is mostly for suppressing fire and automatic weapon grazing fire

IMHO the advantage of absolute spotting telling someone too much about where to fire is balanced by less accuracy and the greater realism in being able to fire through at all