A query to our European brethren concerning.......crops

Basically, what time of year would most of the fields in NW Europe be cleared of standing crops like wheat,rye, etc.? I am working up maps CM under project for the late-September '44 timeframe (Northern France) and am curious if the fields would be already cleared by then. It would matter on the crop type, of course, but my own experience of harvest time here in the Midwest US may not be the same as for the more northern latitudes of NW Europe.

Thanks for any replies.

Guest Germanboy

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Spook:

I am working up maps CM under project for the late-September '44 timeframe (Northern France) and am curious if the fields would be already cleared by then.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am from a farm in Northern Germany. Crops will all be gone by then. There are nice fairs on the stubble-fields in September. You would either have those, or ploughed fields in which the winter crop has been or will be sown. lots of haystacks at that time of year, too.

------------------

Andreas

You can still use wheatfields regardless of the time of year in CM.

Wheat height and cover and concealment values in CM vary over the course of the year to simulate the fact that crops grew and were harvested/

So, if it shows a wheatfield on a map and the scenario is in mid-october just leave the wheatfield in. CM will make sure that the wheatfield modelled is assumed to provide little concealment as the wheat will all have been harvested by then.

Doh! It's in the CM Manual as you've just described, Fionn. I should've waited until getting home before I posed the question. redface.gif All the same, thanks again to all who've replied.

When CMMC mapmaking volunteers were called for earlier this week, I should've also asked about map size first. Trying to work up 2X2 km maps can be a chore.

No worries.

There are MANY depths to CM which none of you have even noticed yet. We're still getting " Do shells ricochet? does terrain cover vary by season etc questions".

Ps. YES trees in winter have different cover from trees in summer, or autumn.

Fog DOES muffle sound contacts, as does rain etc etc etc..

Do a night cityfight on a foggy, wet day and you won't see or hear anything until it is within 15 metres. Really gets the blood pumping wink.gif

A few weeks ago I put together a map for my own amusement, simulating a British airborne raid on a secret German installation (can't be very secret if they raided it, mind) on a foggy night.

My paras got through the bocage perimeter, and were sneaking up to a road, when they got a sound contact from an unidentified armoured vehicle, about 20 metres away. Being a sound contact it was apparently driving straight through walls and things - very ghostly.

On another go, they were crawling along a wall, and this bloody flak vehicle materialised right on top of them. I designed the scenario with the intention that the paras would sneak around undetected, but unfortunately all units in CM are on a battle footing, so they keep opening up on harmless trucks and things even if it's suicidal.

David

Guest Michael emrys

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by David Aitken:

I designed the scenario with the intention that the paras would sneak around undetected, but unfortunately all units in CM are on a battle footing, so they keep opening up on harmless trucks and things even if it's suicidal.

David<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am sometimes of a mind that what is needed is a Cool It! command to be added to the game. Something on the order of "Don't fire unless fired upon or I give the order."

I would also like elite units like the paras to do a bit more evasion rather than banzai charges.

Michael