Combat Mission 2, maybe the entire war ?

I guess it's my turn to berate the newbie.

*sigh*

Ok, here goes:

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!

Heh-heh. Sorry, it's my first time really.

Anyway, BTS has been asked to do something like you ask several times, but the majority rules, and BTS will keep the gameplay like CM1. No following the same platoon, nor the same unit, nor any sort of tied together campaign game.

Hope that helps.

------------------

"...Every position, every meter of Soviet soil must be defended to the last drop of blood..."

- Segment from Order 227 "Not a step back"

Uh, I have a question:

If we can't even watch a whole game as a movie, how on Earth will we ever be able to watch the whole war?

When I try to follow a unit around at level 1 or 2 with full foliage, often LOS is every limited, and the movie is a little boring. I prefer watching most battles from level 3 or 4. Only when a tank or a unit has a particularly good turn do I bother to watch at 1 or 2.

In CM it seems to me we rarely see most units survive until the end of a battle anyway. (OK, in case some people might get confused here, please note that I am only talking about my opponents' troops now).

If 40% of enemy troops survive one battle, and 40% of them survive the next battle, and yet another 40% of the remainder of the second battle survive the third battle...

Say your opponent starts with 100 units. They lose 40% of them. They now have 60. These 60 fight another battle, only 40% of them survive. 24 people left. OK, they go through another battle. 40% of 24 people is... and on and on.

Of course the formations were replenished with more conscripts and green troops, and the more experienced soldiers probably had a slightly higher survival rate than the newcomers. But a proportion of the elder soldiers would still be taken out during battles, even if the percentage is lower.

You get my meaning? I think the life expectancy for units in WW2 was pretty short.

In most cases the full-war movies would be more like 2-weeks of a unit plodding forward, until they step on a landmine or get picked off by a stray bullet or in an ambush.

You would think officers might live longer, because they are behind the front lines, but we aren't playing those people often in CM. We are playing the soldiers who fought, many of whom did not come home.

What was the life expectancy of the different nationality soldiers, would anyone know on this list?

It is a good question, no doubt about that, but in my opinion it wouldn't really work, because for me at least CM is a strategy game, it is not an RPG-type game.

Well 40 % is taken out, only 15 % is Dead. The rest are injured etc. But anyway, for infantery this might not be so much fun, but tankcrews regulary survive many battles, for me atleast.

But now being a veteran doesn´t mean they make better tactical decitions often it seems.

Well, im new here and sorry, I had my forum set for just the newset posts and didn´t see any post about this, so my bad,

I´ll go pop my head into that 105 mm and pull the trigger...

The main reason BTS have chosen not to 'carry over' units from one battle to the next, is because it's unrealistic. There aren't many units who have fought in more than a couple of major campaigns during the war. Add to that the survival rate and the actual ease of keeping an eye on particular men, as mentioned above, and it's really all outside of CM's scope. CM is a tactical simulator.

David

------------------

'...With mortar shells raining down everywhere, he said, "Come along, Padre".' When Egen showed reluctance, Tatham-Warter reassured him. 'Don't worry,' he said, 'I've got an umbrella.'