Shermans and Smoke

In VoT (no spoilers here) the AI had a sherman move into LOS, take a shot at my german forces, backup and popped smoke. In the beta, the Stug's could do this, but I want to know how I, if playing the americans could do the same. Is it totally involuntary so that human players have no control. Very effective tactic in VoT. Tried a search but only real info related to beta.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Moon:

You can always order a Sherman to fire a smoke round (if it has any smoke rounds left, of course) in front of the tank and reverse it.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

But the AI can manage this in same turn. Can we deliberately plan the move , issuing orders to advance, fire on engaged target, reverse and fire smokeround? Actually as I think about it, Perhaps area target just in front of tank w/ smoke, issue order to hunt/advance just in front of smoke area, and reverse back into/behind area of impact o that by then, the smoke becomes effective? Hmmmmmmmmmm have to try that one.

Guest Madmatt

The TacAi is doing this becasue it is advancing, then detecting a threat which could take it out, it then pops smoke (either from main gun but usuaully smokem mortars or dischargers) and then backs up under cover of this smoke. I have seen my own tanks do this MANY times. It is not something (as such) that you can order as its the TacAi stepping in to cover its own ass. As Moon said above you could 'emulate' this behavior but the timing would be a little tricky but not impossible. Fire smoke (main gun smoke is the only type you have control over in AFV) very close and to your front. It will take about 20 seconds or so to plume up. Have your vehicle Pause for 30 seconds (maybe just 15) and then HUNT forward to the point that you HOPE (you may miss) the smoke will appear. Then add a reverse order to go back from whence you came. If this is done right you will fire a smoke round then just about the time the smoke plumes you will start to advance up to and through the smoke. As you get through the smoke you vehicle will sit there for a few seconds as it waits to carry out the reverse order, it will then retreat back through cover of the smoke.

Ok, the DOWNSIDE to this is you cant tell you tank to fire just ONE smoke round, so he may fire 2 or 3 at the targeted loation before he switches to more conventional ammo.

I would recommened makeing this a two turn event. Turn one drop (fire) a nice thick smoke screen directly ahead. Turn two issue the vehicle movement commands.

You could risk this my just giving movment commands without the smoke and HOPE that the TacAi does it for you.

When this has happened to me it was not that I planned it that way but rather the AI was stepping in to save his own skin...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 05-14-2000).]