As I looked back over the field of battle, I felt...proud?!? ***SPOILER***

Played Valley for the second time, first time playing as Americans. Did rather well, with Germans surrendering on turn 20. My forces has made it all the way to the top of Hill 209 in this time. Walking the battlefield after it was over, I set it to view level 1, placed myself atop Hill 209 and scanned the the view this position offers of the entire battlefield.

Looking over all my men had accomplished, did I feel the AI was inadequate, allowing me a too easy victory? NO. I felt the AI did the best it could, considering my judicious use of artillery and concentration of forces.

Did I feel that I was a brilliant tactician? NO. I didn't do anything too extroardinary, other than heeding the advice of others in making sure my artillery was best friend.

What DID I feel? Proud. Proud of my men. yes, thats right...I felt proud of my imaginary, computer generated boys. In 20 minutes they had marched over 1/2 kilometer, fighting dug in troops and gun emplacements the whole way. They charged up hill 209 like it was the rampway to the boat home. No one shirked their duty. No one fled. Their bravery made my heart glow.

But...those boys aren't real! Something strange is going on here! Either my wife is right when she says wargaming makes me a little more batty every day...or BTS has done something extroardinary here. The way I see it, BTS has created the ultimate wargame experience, one that draws you into the conflict to such a degree that you actually start to feel the pain and glory of your troops. I have never experienced this before in a game..and I'm a little dazed.

Congratulations BTS, and thank you.

ScottK

[This message has been edited by ScottK (edited 05-13-2000).]

Guest Big Time Software

And thank you Scott!

When we first announced CM, and we showed that it was 3D, we got a LOT of resistance from wargamers. "Why the heck are you doing this in 3D and not in 2D hexes?" Man, we heard that (and still do a little bit) over and over again.

At first we harped on the techincal aspects of the simulation, as this was easier to qunatify and was the first thing we worked on. But as the game became more and more "whole" we found that we were drawn into CM in a way we had never been with any other game we had ever played. And as the graphical environment was improved, this became stronger. Now it is to the point that we think that the feeling of "being there" is as strong a selling point as its technical aspects. And we thank you for such a wonderful description to illustrate that.

Just wait until you slug it out in a snowstorm at night smile.gif

Steve

Guest grunto

Dear BTS:

Indeed it is in a class by itself. The MG 42s are actually scary and not toy-sounding like in CC. I would have to say that it appears to be more realistic than ASL... and a lot more fun to play!!!

Good work guys... will order the game and try to convince nephew and friends to buy...

salute

Andy

Heh heh. I have to agree with the above, but the ARTILLERY! When I first heard that come in I actually almost jumped out of my chair! The impact was tremendous and I was very impressed! Teriffic job BTS! biggrin.gif The AI is also greatly improved.

Also, my bug with the demo has almost been solved by me and KwazyDog, so I should be ready to PBEM in a few days.

------------------

Sosabowski, 1st Pol. Abn.

Yes, I know my name is spelled wrong as a member!

[This message has been edited by Gen. Sosaboski (edited 05-13-2000).]

Guest Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ScottK:

Played Valley for the second time, first time playing as Americans<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You played as the Germans first? Too bad -- just imagine how proud you would have been when your troops crawled to the top of Hill 209, only to find a previously unspotted Panther G looking down at them from the next rise, bringing its gun to bear!! Then to see two squads of your engineers rush into the teeth of death, bracket the tank and take it out even as the third blows the AT bunker . . . Even Patton would shed a tear of pride.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>BTS has created the ultimate wargame experience, one that draws you into the conflict to such a degree that you actually start to feel the pain and glory of your troops. I have never experienced this before in a game..and I'm a little dazed.

Congratulations BTS, and thank you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here here!! smile.gif And very well said.

------------------

Blacksilver

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>"I survived the Board Riot!!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>