Chain of Command

Guest Torqued182

Guest Torqued182

I was wondering why the platoon leaders are allowed to run their platoons where they see fit without having to "stay in command" with their Company CO? The squads need to stay in contact with the Platoon leader but the Platoon leader does not need to stay in contact with the Company Commander?

I might be missing something obvious but I was just curious about this.

Well probably true, but the system doesn't quite work like this. Even since there isn't always a company commander for all the platoons since the force load-out is varied greatly.

Company and Battalion Commanders work as follows...

They are considered "back-up" commanders as for when the Platoon Commanders aren't in C&C range. They also make good rallying points for routed or broken squads. Keep them off the fron line and any routed troops that run near the CO or BN Commanders will stop to rally with them.

However, the command bonuses between all three levels of HQs AREN'T accumulative. Once a lower level HQ gets control of the unit, the higher level commander's bonuses are neglected.

My take on it is that the platoon HQ had a radio and was thus in contact with all higher HQ's. However, no unit lower than platoon had a radio in WWII thus a squad out of command of the platoon was effectively out of touch with the entire army!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>A subordinate only gains the benefits of leader bonuses when it's "in command". (You'll see a brown, not black, line connecting to its HQ, and a little radio icon in the info panel).

The length of the "command radius" depends on the HQ's command skill rating and whether the unit has a clear LOS to the HQ. Ranges are roughly between 20m and 80m, depending. (Sorry I can't remember the details, we'll put it all in the manual).

A unit may only be "led" by one HQ at a time and its platoon HQ takes precedence. So a company commander is useful for filling in if a platoon HQ gets killed, or for support weapons, stragglers, etc. Company commanders often have better command skills than platoon leaders (longer command radius) but lesser combat skills (firing and concealment bonuses). The +1 and +2 are simply indicators of above-average skill in leadership, morale, combat/firing, and concealment. +1 means "good", +2 means "excellent". Anything not specifically mentioned means "normal".

Charles<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's a nice little discussion: http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/002577.html

And then:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>One thing I have done is, with smaller groups, used a Company HQ to break up a reinforced platoon into two parts. You can do something like charge forward with 1/2 (say the Platoon HQ and one squad) and have the CO HQ getting ready to bark out orders for the other units to move up right away once the advace units get into position. Or another one I did once was to split the force up into two in order to do a pincer attack in Heavy Woods.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My take on it is that the platoon HQ had a radio and was thus in contact with all higher HQ's. However, no unit lower than platoon had a radio in WWII thus a squad out of command of the platoon was effectively out of touch with the entire army!

I don't know about American practices but Germans certainly didn't have radios for all platoons. Or even for all companies.

I'd say the main reason is in tactical doctrine: individual squads were not sent on separate missions (during a combat) but individual platoons were.

- Tommi

Guest Torqued182

Thanks for the info guys. I have played both demos a lot and I jsut thought about the chain of command thing the other day. My Company HQ got caught in an artillery barrage and was wiped out but there did not seem to be any effect its platoons. Also, I have had platoons dozens (if not hundreds) of meters from the Company HQ without any apparent effect on their command ability. I just though that seemed a little odd.

You all pretty much addressed these questions for me. Thanks again.

"My Company HQ got caught in an artillery barrage and was wiped out but there did not seem to be any effect its platoons."

I think you will find that this has a larger impact on your overall moral. Every loss has an impact on your moral, but some units like leaders and tanks have a higher impact. These moral hits add up until you no longer have an effective fighting force.