Congratulations BTS!

I got my issue of PCGamer today. 91%, editor's choice!! A quote:

"White-knuckled action and extraordinary realism : if this is the future of PC wargaming, then bring it on!"

Editors choice in the largest gaming magazine should be great publicity. Watch those dollars roll in now! I may have to rescind my offer to take you guys out to dinner if you're ever in NO as I might not be able to afford the kind of place you're used to!

Congratulations and well done.

I can only concur. I have rarelly met a more responsive developement team than BTS. They deserver every ounce of fame and fortune they get. I hope they don't end up partying too much so they can work on CM2, CM3 etc smile.gif.

Marcus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrD:

I got my issue of PCGamer today. 91%, editor's choice!! A quote:

"White-knuckled action and extraordinary realism : if this is the future of PC wargaming, then bring it on!"

B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

First, CM is for sure the best tactical wargame ever made.

Now about the future of wargame.... there's one word in your quote deserving emphasis: "action"... If CM would have been an operational or strategical wargame, I'm not sure it would be so much congratulated in these mags. And I don't really see how to put action in strategic wargames. Maybe I'm wrong but a large part of the CM success in mainstream games belongs to resemblances with RTS and Quake games. Of course, reviews don't forget realism and other wargaming virtue of CM. But TacOps shares a large number of them without such congratulations.

Congrats to BTS for the game and for the distribution model too. I fear wargamming will remain a niche.

I don't see war gaming staying a niche. Look at the success of other games like Close Combat and Panzer General.Hidden and Dangerous and Panzer Elite also turned a few of my friends into wargamers.As long as quality wargames come out it won't be a niche.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Loki:

I don't see war gaming staying a niche. Look at the success of other games like Close Combat and Panzer General.Hidden and Dangerous and Panzer Elite also turned a few of my friends into wargamers.As long as quality wargames come out it won't be a niche.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hope so. And I've nothing against low-realism wargames like PG. But the first was published in 1995 and I've not yet seen many new wargamers for the more detailed products. That's not to say such game doesn't have any results, but IMO there will be no miracle. Frankly, I just hope big companies will not put on the market CM clones with better graphics and simpler rules... CM would lose certainly part of consumers.

Then all the games you mention are on tactical scales. It would be a shame to see wargames reduced at this unique scale.

[This message has been edited by Leclerc (edited 07-29-2000).]

Guest Mortiis

It's games like cm that will garner interest in wargaming and no matter what expect to see a bunch of clones and my bet is they wont even come close to being as well done as cm

There will be clones,the gaming world has noticed the success of CM.That is espicially unusual for a game with no mass retailer.But the clones will sell,but they won't have the following or success of CM. Us wargamers tend to be hard to please and no clone would satisfy me.Even if one did come out that was just was good there wouldn't be a dedicated following of fans doing MOD's and scenario's.And lets face it. Having new scenarios and MODS really add to the replay value.

Us wargamers tend to be hard to please and no clone would satisfy me. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Loki,

I haven't say CM will lose wargamers. I've said consumers, you konw guys buying games for graphics...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leclerc:

Loki,

I haven't say CM will lose wargamers. I've said consumers, you konw guys buying games for graphics...

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The other arguement ( and please don't take arguement literally) is that if a simplified clone came out and consumers bought it,that could lead them to look for more detailed and realistic games such as CM.Could Close Combat or the Campaign series have led some gamers to CM? ........Its possible.

My gaming days began in the 80's with Mechbrigade and others by SSI.I don't think highly of them now,but thats a different story.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The other arguement ( and please don't take arguement literally) is that if a simplified clone came out and consumers bought it,that could lead them to look for more detailed and realistic games such as CM.Could Close Combat or the Campaign series have led some gamers to CM? ........Its possible.