Dibs on Mortain! Designing Scenarios? Lets Talk.

Guest Frankrad

Frankad said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>But are any of you planning on certain scenarios or battles? It would be great to know so we can help each other out and not reduplicate our efforts<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wouldn't worry about this. There are 2 types of historical battles--those that were recorded down to the fine level of detail needed to make truly historically accurate scenarios at CM's scale, and those that weren't so well documented. Of the former type, I'd expect most if not all of the most interesting with readily available info have already been included as stock scenarios on the CM CD. Or they were left on the cutting room floor and will soon be uploaded by Wild Bill's troops smile.gif . For the rest, not many people have access to the needed records anyway. Thus, we can pretty much ignore the well-documented category.

That leaves the fuzzy type. Here, I don't see a problem because most battles were huge compared to CM's scale. Thus, there could be many scenarios portraying the same major battle, but each could easily represent the viewpoint of a different battalion. In this case, there's no problem of "dibs" or duplication of effort. Look at it as different artistic impressions on the same general theme.

And of course, there's no need at all to limit yourself to historical battles. What I want as a player is something interesting and challenging--I don't care if it ever really happened or not. And CM's editor allows you to make an infinite number of hypothetical battles. So you can do anything from something inspired by history to something inspired by illegal drugs. Personally, I plan to take the middle road and be inspired by whiskey biggrin.gif

------------------

-Bullethead

jtweller@delphi.com

WW2 AFV Photos: people.delphi.com/jtweller/tanks/tanks.htm

Guest Madmatt

Gen Sosa, you did a full install right and didnt just copy the new files into the old directory?

Delete the works and reinstall and see what that gets ya...

Madmatt

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

And if it's NOT on CMHQ then its just GOT to be on CMHQ-ANNEX...

CMHQ http://combathq.thegamers.net

CMHQ-Annex http://cmhq.tzo.com

Both now proud members of the Combat Mission WebRing

Guest ChrisC1009

I plan on doing TF Abrams at Singling. I have very detailed source information to include maps and diagrams and OOBs. I did the same thing for SP when it first came out, and the scenario was well received.

Guest Frankrad

Wow! What a great response from all these folks.

There should be a clearing house or webpage which coordinates peoples scenario design efforts.. A person could put their email address, a brief description of the scenario, the status, and any questions or design problems. This way, people can share/coordinate information. For example, if I put my name on this hypothetical board (or string), and put my design project (say, Mortain, or some other battle), and said "I need information on the 16th Panzer Division".

I have a VERY extensive personal library collection on the GI's experience in the Western Front. Most of it is 1st Person accounts, and not merely operational discussions. I even went to far as to travel to Normandy last year for D-Day and videotaped interviews with veterans (in particicular one ranger who landed at Bloody Omaha, and was part of the lone platoon from 5th Battalion that made it to Pointe Du Hoc on June 6 via Omaha). I would love to share this information with other designers.

Are there any webpages willing to coordinate this effort? Is this being done elsewhere? What do you guys think?

Baraque de Fraiture should be a fun one.

Easy too,because there are SOOOO many

aerial photos of it.

I really want to do Aachen(tanks in an urban

fight!)but I'd need the 155mm GMC for that..

(used for DIRECT FIRE!!!)for "reducing"buildings.

It looks now that (hopefully)the first thing

anyone will see from me is....Arrarcourt!

a big tank fight on a terribly foggy morn.

(maybe an operation..just don't know yet)

been working on it for a month now.

Oh yeah....

Who's going to Host all of our masterpieces?

If anyone ever wants one of mine,or to post

one of mine...just e-mail me for project status,and scenarios.