Diplomacy?

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PeterNZer:

just a quick q. since I can't find it myself..

anyone know of a tidy little diplomacy game. something someone threw together in visual basic or something? Preferable shareware. I want to run a couple of intra-office games hehe :>

PeterNZ<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There was a nice one available for the Mac a long time ago called MacDip, but it's author was told to cease and desist distribution by AH. It handled the moves and it could also accept PBEM files from the various servers. AH eventually came out with it's own version, which sounded like it wasn't all that great, but I never saw it. I don't know the status of any of them since the acquisition of AH by Hasbro.

In case you weren't already aware: There are a bunch of servers all over the world that allow one to play by email (including many variants) with variable levels of anonymity. I think there's even a program that will generate postscript map files from the PBEM files (you could use the server for moves and allow live diplomacy). There's also a usenet newsgroup (with a high S/N ratio last I checked) that can point you to a lot of resources. If you can't find any of this stuff, let me know and I'll post it to this thread. Search also for "Diplomatic Pouch" and you'll find an online zine devoted to Dip as well.

There's a pretty large Diplomacy subculture--somehow I'm still on some email lists, and have been getting announcements about a major DipCon coming up (recently past?) in southern CA.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 08-15-2000).]

The Diplomatic Pouch is located at:

http://www.diplom.org/

The mapping stuff is at

http://devel.diplom.org/DipPouch/Online/mapsoftware.html and a program called "Realpolitik" is the successor to MacDip, and is down at the bottom of the list. He's got PC and mac versions, and there's even a Java applet.

I think this has links to anything you could possibly want, including the email Judges, live people, articles, rec.games.diplomacy, etc.

[This message has been edited by chrisl (edited 08-15-2000).]