Formations

Are there any plans to allow squads that are in contact with thier HQ to be able to have the option to begin thier movement at the same time?

It would seem like a good use for higher up Hqs as well. If 3 platoon HQs are in contact with the company Hq, the platoon Hqs could move thier platoons at the same time.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by iggi:

Are there any plans to allow squads that are in contact with thier HQ to be able to have the option to begin thier movement at the same time?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mean precisely timed movement or are you looking for a reason why there is a lag?

The reason why there is a variable lag between when the officers move and when the squad moves is to simulate control. The speed at which the squad moves is based upon its morale, the squad's weariness, their proximity to the officer (i.e. is the officer within hearing? is he close enough to kick a laggard's ass?), and the quality of the officer himself. I find this much more realistic than most other games where the player exhibits 'instant control' as if each unit was a robot instead of a human.

If you are looking for a timed movement, i.e. "Begin the attack at 0800 hours precisely" I don't see a great value in this. The player is well able to synchronize himself and is always in touch with each unit. There will still be a lag nevertheless even if there was timed movement.

Why can't the tac ai give faster squads an automatic pause to keep it in line with slower squads if it is in command of the HQ and you indicate a special formation move?

Say you have 3 squads and an HQ. They are in a line formation with the HQ in the rear.

Squad 1 would normally react in say 8 sec, squad 2 in 9 and say squad three reacts in 10 sec. say the HQ moves out in 7 sec.

If I select any unit and press shift before I select the type of movement order, the tac ai would assume I want that squad to move in formation with it's section. Therefore since the slowest reaction time to get moving is 10 sec, all squads will get going in 10 secs but only if they are in command of a HQ and only if you press shift while giving the order. Any squad that is out of command or that you don't press shift goes on it's own.

The HQ will always be part of any such move. So if you only press shift on one squad, it is assumed that the HQ is coordinating with it.

I would tend to agree.

On large maps, moving a group all the way across the map (behind the lines for example) is an annoying exercise if you really want a group of different-speed units to stick together.

Many games have a "follow" command. That would be very welcome here.

"Yes, Private, I know you can run three times as fast as the HMG squad, but you're supposed to be PROTECTING them..."