Making good quick battles?

Hi all,

When I make quick battles I usually choose the force of the army I play as and let the computer decide the opposing force. The problem i have noticed is if it is infantry only, the computers force spams AA guns and AT turrets and has a lot less infantry and this makes the battles less fun and more frustrating than anything as you approach an objective and just get blown to bits by three AA guns placed ontop of a hill. Is the best way to sort this by just picking the units for both teams myself? (negatives is the loss of the element of surprise).

Also, what is the difference between a probe, assault and an attack?  and finally, do the points available to purchase units depend on the size of the battle? so tiny would have a lot less points available than a battle of a large size? I think there is a lot going for these quick battles and i really want to enjoy them more so I would appreciate any help given.

Thanks everyone! 

Edited by silent_crescendo

2 hours ago, silent_crescendo said:

Is the best way to sort this by just picking the units for both teams myself? (negatives is the loss of the element of surprise).

Each family gets better at this but frankly even if during testing, if as an example, I was happy with the results out in the real world people would likely not be. I have three thoughts on this. One, just choose something and go. Two do the above a dozen times and save the files away. Next month play them :) . Three, ask someone here to setup a game. Even send them a screen shot of what you want in a force and let them set that up and pick the opfor.

Bounus: Four use the auto pick and quickly review it it if looks goofy press select again. If you don't look too closely there will still be surprises.

Also, what is the difference between a probe, assault and an attack?

The amount of point advantage to the attacker. Probe has the least and I think assault the most but I am not sure. I really only play probes against humans. In this game they way we fight it is very hard for the defense to come out on top. Probe is the best chance that the defender has to be able to win.

and finally, do the points available to purchase units depend on the size of the battle? so tiny would have a lot less points available than a battle of a large size? 

Correct.

4 hours ago, IanL said:

Also, what is the difference between a probe, assault and an attack?

The amount of point advantage to the attacker. Probe has the least and I think assault the most but I am not sure. I really only play probes against humans. In this game they way we fight it is very hard for the defense to come out on top. Probe is the best chance that the defender has to be able to win.

There are additional differences between the three types of battle. Probes require you to penetrate the defenses to the least depth and the VLs are usually fewer, I think. Assault requires the deepest penetration, but also allows the attacker some intel on the positions of some of the defenders.

Michael