Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

The Best Armies in the World

Guest Pillar

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I read once that the Vatican guard are actually pretty elite themselves. I don't mean the halberds and the Morion helmets, either. From what I remember, they have antiterrorism training and their own intelligence network courtesy of the worldwide Catholic network. Heh, remember that the 'confession' is one way for the 'universal church' to gain power over things temporal.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IIRC, the Vatican Guard is made up of elite Swiss mercenaries, and they don't all carry pikes. Mercenaries used to be the main Swiss export, and they were so feared that a footnote of the Council of Vienna, which settled the end of the Napoleonic Wars (France used Swiss mercenaries too) forbade the Swiss troops to fight for anyone but the Swiss themselves and the Vatican.

-Andrew

------------------

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well my point with Somalia kinda got lost.

What I was saying was that any army from any country is more likelly to perform worse in a situation where there's no real motivation. Motivation means alot imho. I don't think that anyone felt any real motivation in Somalia (probably more like wtf are we doing here?).

Put Texans to defend Texas and you'll have a real hard time to conquer every single yard. Put the same Texans fighting against natives in Northern Siberia and you'll probably have much worse results.

As for my own country I could probably say that the Arctic "jaegers" are among the best in defending the terrain they are put to defend. Put them in Sahara and I'll doubt they would survive for long.

As Einstein said, it's all relative smile.gif.

Marcus

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DanW:

You do a dis-service to the countless priests who have given their lives in preserving that vow. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ok, I did zip that one off a bit too hastily and I apologize to you and any Catholics that were offended. I didn't mean that the average priest abuses the confessional but it does sound that way. At the risk of sounding disengenous, I will tell you where that came from and you can decide its worth.

I was recently reading a wide ranging book on civilization and the development of ideas (James Burke's "The Axemaker's Gift" it was) and he flipped off a comment on the rise of the roman church during the dark ages. His comment was (and I don't have it with me) is that the early roman church held a powerful hold on the spread of knowledge even as Europe fragmented into different kingdoms because its rulers gave obeisance and confession to the universal church. I took that to mean that the early church was not beyond using what it gained through its private confidences with rulers for its own purposes.

That said, I retract my comment. To extend that to the modern church in a conspiratorial statement was not good.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I went ahead and bought CM anyway, to support BTS, but I doubt I'll get to play more then the one battle I've gotten in so far.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I hope my misstatement didn't have anything to do with that.