Spotter Dies, Fire Mission Stops Immediately?

Guest BigAlMoho

Guest BigAlMoho

Isn't this how it works?

Shouldn't the FFE continue for a minute or two? Provided it has already started at the time of the spotters demise?

Thanks,

Al

Are you playing with Full Fog of War on? I had the same gripe and realized I was playing with the "Show all units" on.The AI will certainly target your spotter then,cos he is a high priority target.Since playing with FFOW I almost never lose a spotter.Also use your HQ for the eyes of your mortar team,this keeps them safe and the HQ is also harder to find.

------------------

"If Patton were alive today,he'd play Combat Mission."

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Cuchulainn:

I have queried this before - to no avail.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I felt fairly gutted when the AI dropped an artillery stonk on my observer and killed him. I just wrote it off as a kind of counter-battery fire. It didn't sting as badly that way. smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Holdit (edited 09-27-2000).]

Guest BigAlMoho

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Napoleon1944:

I hate this. And it seems like the AI always knows how to find the spotter and kill him.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I don't know much about the AI...

Guest BigAlMoho

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Panzer Man:

Are you playing with Full Fog of War on? I had the same gripe and realized I was playing with the "Show all units" on.The AI will certainly target your spotter then,cos he is a high priority target.Since playing with FFOW I almost never lose a spotter.Also use your HQ for the eyes of your mortar team,this keeps them safe and the HQ is also harder to find.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My question doesn't involve losing the spotter, it involves (nearly)instantly losing the fire mission that those spotters gave their lives to call in.

Thanks,

Al

BigAlMoho said:

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>My question doesn't involve losing the spotter, it involves (nearly)instantly losing the fire mission that those spotters gave their lives to call in.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ben Galanti posted the link to a previous discussion on this subject, if you care to read it. But since you apparently haven't already, I'll summarize here.....

In real life, after adjusting the spotting rounds onto the target, the FO calls for a specific number of rounds of FFE. The battery then shoots that number of rounds. During the FFE, if the battery hears nothing more from the FO, it will shoot all the rounds, then say "Rounds complete, request end of mission." So if the FO dies during the FFE, you will still get the number of rounds he called for.

In CM at present, you cannot specify the number of rounds of FFE, but can only check fire at turn breaks. Given this unrealistic situation, the question is, should CM give you some random number of rounds after FO death?

There are 2 positions. One is that because in real life more shells would probably be on the way at the time of the FO's death, CM should give you some random number of rounds afterwards.

My position, however, is that it should not. If CM had this feature, what would it base its decision on? It has no idea how many more turns the player would have left the FFE falling, etc. And no matter what BTS did, because there is nothing they can really base their implementation on, somebody would surely bitch that it allows too many or too few extra shells.

Even more fundamentally, it just goes against my nature to cover up the unrealistic effects of 1 game abstraction by introducing another unrealistic abstraction. My preferred solution is to fix the underlying problem and force players to specify a number of rounds of FFE when they call for fire.

------------------

-Bullethead

Visit the brand new Raider Operations message board at www.delphi.com/raiderops

Main site www.historicalgames.bizland.com/index.html