Dreadnaughts

Neutral Party

You are of course right about Dreadnaughts. I remember that game but didn't have it. I can't remember the name of the one with the Bismark. I have it in the garage somewhere on a 5 1/4 floppy. I remember you could try different ways to attempt the breakout. It was fun. Did you try Fighting Steel and what did you think of it?

------------------

Rick614

Hi Rick

Seem to have started a new thread here - quantum mechanics in action smile.gif

Well Fighting Steel is a sad story of what may have been. I bought it of course - couldn't help myself really. But I knew by that time what it was and what it wasn't.

IMHO the lack of a decent campaign game was one of its biggest problems. I thought the graphics were actually pretty good (for a naval sim) but it depends what you're used to I suppose. Gameplay was quite good but there were a few frustrating nit-picks like lack of control over torpedo firing.

The game was basically released unfinished as I think someone said in the other thread. I'm sure everyone who reads this board is familiar with BTS release philosophy. At times this can be very frustrating, but the example of FS shows that maybe BTS have got it right.

With the latest patches the game is now stable but IIRC DBZ went belly-up before the functionality could be improved by patching.

Funny thing is my FS CD had been sitting gathering dust somewhere for a number of months then I heard about the Java application FSNA (Fighting Steel North Atlantic) that Michael Emmerich has written

http://www.german-navy.de/games.htm

so I dug it out again.

FSNA is an attempt to provide a campaign game similar to GNBNA I for the fighting steel engine. It's still at an early stage and is pretty "cluncky" but I think it has potential and I will be following its development with interest.

Joe

Neutral Party

Didn't mean to start a new thread it just ended up that way. The graphics in FS were probably the best to date for a naval sim I just think with the state of the art they could have been a lot better. As far as CM goes I really have a good feeling about it. I think as much as everyone is probably expecting I bet most people are going to think it is better than they could imagine.

The name of that game is driving me nuts but the more I think about it I could swear the name Dreadnaught was in there somewhere. Its in the garage up WAY WAY high and my ladder is out in the back yard and it is pouring rain so it will bother me for another day.

It would be nice if BTS could think of a good naval sim somewhere down the line.

------------------

Rick614