Cool night shots, and a question about fire

Considering that I am a firebug, and like to light a lot of fires at night on the farm, I've got to ask; will combat at night appear as visually distinct? Will spots of illumination give greater sighting ranges? In the VCR playback will we see tracers?

The reason I ask is because I know there is supposed to be no dichotomy between the appearance of the game and the underlying mechanisms, and so I take this to mean that if night combat appears as visually distinct, it implies a mechanisticsally distinct form of combat. True or false?

Thanks for any answers

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

I'm not sure what you mean by "mechanisticsally distinct" exactly, but night fighting does have its own sets of distinct combat elements seperate from day fighting. Visual ranges are greatly reduced for ALL units, tanks are blind when buttoned up (far worse than daylight), chance of panic is increased, possibility of friendly fire, etc.

I am not sure how spotting works in terms of flashes, but we are taking these things into account for daylight spotting, so I am sure Charles has thought of this for night time stuff. This would allow a unit at x distance to be unspottable when still, but spottable if firing. I also suspect that it will be MUCH harder to get a positive ID on enemy units.

Yes, you can see tracers very distinctly. They are present even in daytime, but REALLY show up at night.

Steve