Paintball Q to Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Don't have a clue smile.gif I own a Tippman semi, but the places I have last played at don't allow them for general gameplay. You have to play with other semis, and most of those guys are big jerks (cheat, shoot you 20 times, do dangerous things, feel superior to eveybody else, etc.) so needless to say I've rented instead!

You can pick up a inexpensive used constant air gun (pump) without much of a problem. Most fields sell them, or know of someone who is selling one.

'bout all I can say!

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry, I do have a little bit of advice about finding a field, just forgot to tell you smile.gif

Pick up one of the paintball mags that you can find on any good newstand (Action Pursuit?). Fields sometimes advertise there, but you are best off finding some sort of paintball store in your area. Then call the store and they can tell you what is around.

Good luck!

Steve

Using one of the paintball mags should work fine. I live in San Diego, CA and we have plenty of fields around. Most of the fields here allow semi's with some restrictions. I would definetly suggest you check around quite a bit and try various guns and styles before you buy. I've seen basic "spyderco" style semi's being offered for $100-$150 in the classifieds often.

Although banned on most fields, I have an interest in the old style paintguns which propelled the paintball using gunpowder, primer, etc. The caliber of the paintball was much smaller, and the velocity higher. I believe this style allowed greater penetration through brush etc, as well as allowing greater ranges. people didn't seem to like getting hit with those however smile.gif

Steve's bringing up paintball has kindled my memory of past battles, paintball's a blast to play. I would also add that I basically agree with his comments as to the behavior of green vs vet players, Rambo's excepted of course smile.gif Last time I went there were nine of us who went together, they put us against a large group that had never played but wanted to play as a team, they were about 21-22 of them, usually a game goes 15 minutes or until one side takes opponents flag back to its flag station, whichever comes first, this game was called before the 5 minute mark as all our opponents had been eliminated. I'm not boasting but rather trying to demonstrate the very real difference between vets and green units. Most of our group had only played a few times so we weren't "pro's" either but... against these guys it seemed like it smile.gif They were easily spotted as they shot like crazy, yet were also easily pinned by incoming fire, they didn't communicate and thus were easily isolated, supressed, flanked, and eliminated.

Although quick and relatively easy, that was a fun game, My team was to drive the right flank, when game started we took off at a sprint for the trees lining the road beyond which was the boundary line, as soon as we hit our first destination we started receiving fire, a lot of it too, playing against that many people, even if untrained, meant an awful lot of fire against us, as we drew their fire however group center took position and started covering us as left group (we were three groups of three each) got some kills and began advancing. This took the heat off us, and we quickly moved up taking out those pinned by group center and just rolled 'em up. Of course, we didn't have to worry about other units supporting their flanks, etc, but all in all a great time smile.gif For the next game a few pro's from the field joined 'em making it a different game entirely, amazing what a few good men can do smile.gif

As to the ammo allotment, I agree, not necesarally to stick mags but 100rnd hoppers with a couple back up ammo cannisters allow for an awful lot of firepower. Usually in competitions however, ammo is limited to one hopper, thus restricting it somewhat. I've seen games with only pump pistols being allowed as well.

I guess I'm kind of rambling now, if you do decide to get back into it, have fun and good hunting smile.gif