infantry firing through walls.

Honest, I searched these terms and didn't come up with my particular situation, although it may well have been discussed.

To be brief, Allied rifle and machine gun units in the back of a building have totally wiped out a squad that ran to the front of the building but did not enter it. How does this happen? In real life, I assume that if the shooters are in the back of a stone structure, and someone runs up the the outside wall and stays away from windows, there is no way, short of running over to the front windows and leaning out, that troops inside could be so deadly to troops outside. Is it assumed that anyone in a building can quickly position himself in a place to direct fire on someone outside? How can there even be los to someone standing next to an outside wall without windows? Enlighten me, please!

------------------

Max Molinaro

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Max,

There was one thread on this, but darned if I can remember what it was called smile.gif There was a lengthy and spirited discussion about the issue with two people playing a game at the time, and in that case the unit in front of the building was actually wiped out by something unseen to the charging player (a nasty .50cal smile.gif). In any case, the range and firepower of a unit shooting through a building is very, very reduced. Think of someone standing in a doorway or some other internal opening and shooting out through a window/door. Not out of the question, but it shouldn't be knocking out more than a man or two tops.

Basic thing is that buildings are not strictly simulated. Meaning walls are not specifically simulated, neither are doors, furnature, etc. So there is abstraction at work here.

Steve

Cm really allows ambushes and firing from hidden positions.

SS_Panzerleader and I are playing a PBEM of Chance Encounter at the moment. I had about 20 guys on the wood edge and another platoon deeper inside the woods. SS_Panzerleader was having a merry time shooting up MG42 teams I let him see, charged and has lost about half his assaulting force in about 30 seconds when all the guys I had moved to the woods edge suddenly popped up and fired at him.

Similarly with house assault. You'd be surprised how many times I've seen a file with a complaint about a house assault only to point out a burst of fire which seemed to come from an empty flank and did most of the damage wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Thanks for the response. I had thought of what you suggest since there were some troops on the assaulting troops' flanks. It's just that they were far away and not apparently firing and I've never before seen an intact, rested, assaulting German squad literally disappear within ten seconds. That's why I thought it had to be someone close by...but who knows? I didn't study the situation closely enough to have examined all the angles. Next time it happens, I will observe more carefully.

Guest Big Time Software

Max, there could have been several US Squads nearby. Sounds like they were hit hard and fast, and that is too much for a single US squad (generally). In the previous post, Ken and Rhet were playing and had the question about shooting from the back of the building. They sent me their save files and I looked at it. Ken lost pretty much an ENTIRE PLATOON OF VETERANS in less than 20secs IIRC. All he saw was one or two US squads at the back of the curch in LD scenario. But he got hit from several units, including a .50cal about 50m away. CM really punishes you for doing charges without keeping the enemy's heads down. I just found that out last night (again) when the bulk of two British Para platoons vanished in a hail of gunfire (oh, and did I mention 4 tanks in about 3 turns??)

Steve