Terrain Types Checklist

Dar

From what I've found through searching, there are at least these terrain types available:

Clear

Tall Pines

Heavy Forest

Light Forest/Orchard

Walls/fences

Hedges

Hedgerows

Brush

Wheat-/Corn-Fields

Lake

River

Swamp/marsh

Bridge

Tall Bridge

Ford

Road (paved or dirt)

Single-story Building (wood or stone)

Two-story Building (wood or stone)

And now the inevitable questions:

Have I missed any? Are individual trees allowed? Areas strewn with rocks or boulders?

While varying elevation is, I assume, all you need to do to create hills, spurs, ridges, etc., can you make a steep slope that is impassable to vehicles or a cliff impassable to both vehicles and infantry?

I'm not including what I assume will be player-deployed improvements, such as wire, foxholes, pillboxes, etc. Just the basic terrains available to the map-maker.

Thanks,

Dar Steckelberg

Guest Battlefront

Hi Dar, you did pretty good wink.gif Made a few mistakes, left out some things, and we renamed the woods types. As far as elevation is concerned, yes you make cliffs and such by just setting the height of the tile. CM automtatically figures out slopes and intersections. Units all know what they can and can not go up/down, so that is taken care of.

Here is the corrected list:

Clear

Tall Pines

Heavy Woods (forget the exact name we gave it)

Scattered Trees

Walls (no fences)

Hedges

Hedgerows

Rough

Brush

Wheat Field

Water (can be river, lake, whatever)

Swamp/marsh

Wooden Bridge

Stone Bridge

Tall Bridge

Ford

Road (paved or dirt, lined with trees or not)

Stone Farmhouse (1 story)

Wood Farmhouse (1 story)

Stone Townhouse (2 stories, small yard)

Stone Church (2 stories, large footprint)

Stone Rowhouse/Industrial (2 stories, large footprint)

OK, I am pretty sure I got everything. If I find that I missed something I will edit this list.

Steve

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 09-15-99).]

I live in Spain, Europe, I've seen many towns and cities in Southern France and around Paris ( I have family there).

Also I've seen many towns in Italy.

All the churchs in those places are stone buildings and the few modern churchs I can remember are concrete buildings.

Pere Cerdan.

Guest Big Time Software

yup, my mistake. Church is stone. I happen to live in a part of the world where everything is wood, so it is the first thing on my mind smile.gif

Steve

I just thought of this also. How about roadblocks and Daisychains? I'm currently reading a book on the battle of the bulge where the Americans are setting up roadblock everywhere to slow the Germans. Some of the roadblocks were maned by engineers who made up Daisychains of antitank mines to pull out onto the road to stop approaching tanks.

Thanks again

Joe

Guest Big Time Software

Yes. Use a combo of swamp and water. The former for passable terrain for infantry, the latter for total restriction. I would imagine that there was combos of this all over the place.

Steve