60mm mortar targeting...

Had 2 60mm mortar teams sitting still for at least 2 turns. Other units spotted a 'gun?' way up in the left corner of the map. I targeted both my mortars on the area, but couldn't determine if it was targeted...Used the 'fire' command, but all I got was los was obstructed...Is there a visual cue that arty has 'targeted' a spot/area? Am I using the wrong command to target my mortars?

Guest Big Time Software

At least for now, 60mm mortars require a clear LOS to fire. It is only off-map mortars (controlled by an artillery observer) that can be fired without LOS.

Charles

That explains it! I couldn't figure out why my 60mm mortars wouldn't fire!

Charles, how about letting the mortars fire IF the company commander has a clear LOS to the target. You could add another menu command to the company comander's menu like "Target mortar" or something.

Just a suggestion. By the way, GREAT game!

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Jamey, that is our plan. If we don't get to it we might just make on map mortars fire indirectly without spotters. Tough call though, since this isn't realistic either.

Steve

Right now I'm reading "With the Old Breed" (Author: Sledge). It's the narrative of a Marine in the Pacific. He was a 60mm mortar man. From his account, it is quite clear that the 60mm mortars would often fire without anyone having LOS to a location. In fact, this was one of the mortar's primary jobs -- hitting a target in defilade to the rest of the company's weapons.

They would do this by registering the mortar before-hand (i.e. with an observer), then marking the angle and trajectory to hit particular locations, especially potential lines of advance etc...

So saying that the 60mm can't fire without LOS on a target is probably not accurate. But they also should not be allowed to adjust targets at will ala CC. Perhaps they require 2-4 minutes after reaching a new position before they can fire indirect?

Sage

p.s. For anyone who has not read his book, it is extraordinary in it's clarity and sophistications, yet it is never literary, preachy or 'philisophical' (at least not intentionally).

[This message has been edited by sage (edited 10-31-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>They would do this by registering the mortar before-hand (i.e. with an observer), then marking the angle and trajectory to hit particular locations, especially potential lines of advance etc...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually Combat Mission does have artillery/ordnance registration markers, though none of these are included in the demo. These points act as spots where FOs can call in artillery twice as quickly, and at which on-map ordnance can fire with increased accuracy (i.e. they've previously boresighted it). I can't remember if we allow mortars to fire indirect at one of these markers but we should so I'll make sure that gets in there. Then it can simulate exactly what you've mentioned above.

Charles