Tank Turning?

Will AFVs attempt to turn their front armor towards the enemy on their own, or will we need to tell them to in the orders phase?

I assume that they will do this facing movement, rather than instantaneously turn to face the enemy!?

Guest Big Time Software

Armored vehicles with no movement orders will, if presented with a viable anti-armor threat, rotate to face the threat with frontal armor. Well, unless the threat is so scary that the vehicle decides that discretion is the better part of valor and pops smoke and reverses at top speed into cover to hide. A Sherman with a 75mm gun, if approached by a King Tiger, will often (quite intelligently) take the latter course. wink.gif This is all done automatically.

Tanks on the move will, of course, rotate their turrets to face threats (well, more to the point they'll rotate the turret to fire at the threat).

You can also order a "hunt" move which instructs the AFV to move until it spots a nice target. It will then stop, face the target, and open fire. Stopping allows for better firing accuracy. However, if the target is dangerous and nearly invulnerable (e.g. Sherman 75 facing a King Tiger front) then the "hunter" may still automatically head for cover to save its skin.

Charles

Guest Big Time Software

The vehicles will turn in "real time" like a vehicle in the real world would. (Though we are fairly generous in the way we allow pivoting, in order to keep things playable). There is no teleportation allowed in CM. smile.gif

Watching CM in action is like watching a little war. There are no boardgame abstractions that violate real-world physics like instantaneous facing changes, moving from "hex to hex", etc.

Charles

With everything else being done the right way, that exactly what I expected. It will be nice too, Steel Panthers made it pretty much impossible to get off more than one flank shot before the tank pivoted and faced you. I maybe wrong, but it seems that if your tanks ROF was high enough you could get at least two before they turned all the way around.

By the way with the late hours you guys put in on this thing, I hope you work at home.