AI and Scenarios

Well, I've taken the plunge and pre-ordered on the basis of what I've seen over at TGN in the Battle Reports.

Excellent idea and a great way to illustrate the various aspects of CM!

The ongoing battle is, of course, being fought-out between two experienced (I presume) wargamers strutting their stuff.

What I am wondering, is the AI up to handling this type of scenario, fighting as one side or the other. Or will this fairly complex scenario, where both sides are forced to both attack and defend in different areas, be confined to two human players only?

Also is it possible to give an idea as to the total number of scenarios/campainges that are to be included in the final release; the split, if any, between human-only and single player scens. and the types of scens.(i.e. hypothetical and historical)?

Incidentally, what scale is the TGN battle, in terms of map-size and unit count, against the average CM scenario.

Here's to as early a release as possible

Cheers

jim crowley

Guest Big Time Software

Thanks Jim!

Honestly, I have NO idea how the AI would handle this scenario. It is ineed a really tough one for the humnan player to deal with, not to mention an AI. Hopefully in the next couple of days I will have a version good enough to test the scenario out on. I expect it to do OK with such a complex scenario, but not as well as a good player would do. Probably better than a newbie though smile.gif

All scenarios will be for all types of play. Number? Dunno. Probably at least 20, plus "demonstration" scenarios. The latter will be smallish sized "textbook" exercises to show you how/why things were/weren't done in WWII. Example: River Assault, Pillbox Assault, Surviving Artillery, etc.

The size of the TGN battle is 2000m deep by 780m wide. Force size on each side is roughly 3 companies each, with many vehicles (don't want to give that number out here smile.gif)

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Yup, scenario editor and DYO (Design Your Own) on the fly scenario maker. Also note that scenario files are VERY small. The one being played out on TGN is only 12k. So you could download 100 scenarios without so much as a minute or two wait smile.gif

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Rick - we haven't implemented the on-the-fly map generator yet but it's coming soon. However, in general, we observe the following rule here:

Combat Mission does everything better than Steel Panthers. smile.gif

Charles

I like that statement. It's true with everything so far.

Could you believe what SP did with Objective hexes, they were always in three clusters grouped in predictable patterns based on the kind of scenario it was.

One thing in SP's defense however, I think Gary Grigsby and Keith Brors are good develpoers. I think much of the deficiencies of SP were due to SSI management directives aimed at making it more mass-market. I think SSI told them to make it alot like Panzer General.

Guest Big Time Software

I'm sure they got all kinds of pressure from higher management. And it just makes us all the happier that for Combat Mission we have no one to answer to except for the people who actually matter: the gaming audience. There are no marketing types telling us to "put a dragon in it" to widen the appeal. smile.gif

Charles

I hope the Dragon is accurately represented.

Just what Blast radius DID you assign to fiery breath type 2 then eh?

Gees.. If they're representing a dragon in 3D it CAN'T be serious.. Now if they had just stuck to hexes and put in a dragon then THAT would have been serious and realistic..

Don't laugh... there's people who think like that. Put in hexes and a load of bull**** data and they're happy.

Put in good graphics and correct data and they're angry...

Makes you wonder what they're taking wink.gif

Guest KwazyDog

My guess would be that unless it is realistic, you wont find it smile.gif Each of the models take a long time to do, they need both the 3D mesh made and the texture, or outer skin, made for them, so I woulodnt expect to see a Maus driving around, hehe.

Anyways, a well placed and protected JagdTiger is pretty much a super unit in its own right, and Im pretty sure you will find them in the game smile.gif

[This message has been edited by KwazyDog (edited 08-24-99).]