Tweaked Textures fro Beta Demo

Yeah-

If someone tells me how BMPs are structured (are they compressed? how long is the header information? and how do they end?) and BTS promises not to change the way images are handled in the final release I can put something together over christmas break. I've changed the tank textures some and I think texture mods will be common when the game ships. It would be nice to have pc-mac interoperability.

Also, if such a utility does exist (by BTS) I don't want to spend christmas writing another one...

And I can only write for the mac (sorry...)

- Bill

Bill,

I think Quicktime 3 and above will import BMP files (at least, according to developer.apple.com/techpubs/quicktime/qtdevdocs/REF/refImporter.3.htm#pgfId=22110 it does...)

That might be the easiest bet. Then just resave them into the resource files. I would think that would work, but then again I've never gotten much past 'hello world' in my mac programming attempts wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Ben Galanti (edited 12-10-99).]

Guest Captain Foobar

ummm...no offense, and I appreciate all the effort..........but how do I change my textures back? I guess I just like it drearier.....

You did back up your BMp directory like I said on the download page didn't you?

If so just copy that dir back - if not re-install the game over the existing installtion smile.gif

You may not have a choice in the final version - it will proably be nice and bright, just turn your monitor down wink.gif

------------------

------------------

CCJ

BLITZ_Force

My HomePage -----> www.geocities.com/coolcolj/

billcarey,

Oops, I think you misunderstood. I'm a Machead... I was asking how resourses were worse than 8,000 loose BMPs.

To answer your other question, I believe BMP's are basically the same as PICT files (less effecient... bigger). Graphic Converter will change the files with no problem, but I don't know of a way to get them into the Resource file other than ResEdit.

Berlichtingen,

Oh, ok I did misunderstand that... my fault

How resources are worse than 8000 BMPs:

Lets say you want to move two textures (the sherman upper hull and turret) which you know are 4051 and 4052 because someone writes a guide to which are which. With seperate BMPs you just grab them and send them.

With resources you open the graphics file in res edit, scroll down to the 4000s extract them, save them, and send the files. If you have res edit on your computer you qualify as atleast an novice code geek, so that process should not intimidate you. However, the *vast* majority of mac users do not have res edit because it is dangerous and they haven't learned enough to know how to use it without ruining their system. (I learned the hard way frown.gif ) Resources, while much more powerful are daunting to first time users.

Overall, I think the tradeoff favors resources...

Thanks for the info about BMPs. I'll see if I can whip out something over winter break that converts BMP folders to resource files.

- Bill

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I can't see how resources vs loose files is a platform related issue in any case. Many Windows games store their graphics and sound files in single large resource files.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

As I understand it, to access "resource files" in Windows, the programer has to write the code for it to do that. Accessing resources is a system level thing on a Mac, do the programer doesn't need to write the code.

Actually, using resources or loose files is not really a platform issue - it is a design philosophy issue. The *only* reason I called is a platform issue is that in the case of CM, the Mac version of the game and Windows version of the game implement the graphics differently. I would suspect that Berlichtingen is correct and this is because is is somehow harder to implement in Windows. I don't know myself, I didn't write the game.

The reason I was throwing around such large numbers of BMPs is because of their naming. The beta demo tops out at image #5041 and I would think that even with a 1 in 10 utilization of numbers, there will be quite a few. Just look at all the different german tanks they have to do. Winter, rain, snow, night... This is going to be a *big* game.

Berlichtingen, I learned the hard way with resources too. Modified the menus currently in use by my system. Set up a loop that created in infinite number of File menus... Not pretty and had to reinstall the system.

- Bill