PBEM situation

Guest titan

ivw been playing the demo on pbem,and have encountered a small problem after i have watched the video and click the done button it has automatically saved the file and asked me to send it off without giving me the opportunty to give orders we have playedx4 turns and it has happened twicw now.

am i doing something wrong or has anyone else experinced this

Titan

This is how it is supposed to work (as far as I can tell) You do get to give orders, you just do it the next time you get the e-mail. There are 3 e-mails involved for getting through one turn. It's kind of a strange setup though, it seems like you could do it in just two e-mails... Though, at this point, I suspect it would take some major code reworking to change it.

Titan this feature virtually eliminates the possibility of cheating by continually replaying the outcome of a movie before sending it to an opponent.

because YOUR opponent must send you the movie BEFORE viewing it but after issuing his order he can't cheat by replaying to get the most favourable results for himself..

IMPORTANT in tournament games.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Yes, Fionn is correct. Titan, you aren't missing any Orders Phases, just the chance to cheat smile.gif Now, I know you wouldn't, but Fionn CERTAINLY would, and that is why we did it that way wink.gif Fionn knows I am kidding!

Steve

Maybe it would be possible to include an alternative way to do PBEM games that only took 2 emails to complete a turn? Basicaly plot/view for one guy, view/plot for the other guy. You would have the choice on which way you'd like to play...with ladder games or tournament games using the 3 email system.

This would allow friends, or trusting fools, to play email games just a little quicker.

You guys really want them to spend their time coding in another way to do pbem? The system it has now is good right, you think it could be better but this one works effectively right? TCP/IP will be out with the real version soon and will probably be the way most of us play anyways, I expect TCP/IP battles will move right along with the only delays being the time taken to plot moves and watch the video's (most likely on a timer restriction).

Now, about the timer... although kind of in contrast with what a timer is for, a pause timer function would be nice especially for longer games or unexpected visitors. Once again, maybe something to think about for CM2.

Guest Scott Clinton

Well, I will chime in here and answer Lokesa's question:

IMO, YES. Not now but in a patch. I will most likely play more email than online. I will also most likely only get one email off per day...if I understand correctly this means one turn every 2-3 days. At this rate it could take two or three months to finish a game that simulates only 30 minutes of combat.

Yes, I would very much like a 'less secure but faster' method in a patch if possible BTS.

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

In one of the phases all you do is get to watch the turn, right?

As soon as you get the file that includes the only viewable turn, you could just play the movie once and fast forward through it. Then you promptly send the file back.

You can always load the file your opponent sent and watch it at your leisure. Just make sure the file name is different so the turn sent by your opponent doesn't get overwritten.

This should reduce by a little the time it takes to get through a PBEM game.

Jason

[This message has been edited by guachi (edited 11-06-99).]

Lokesa:

I've been clamoring for this "two emails/turn" feature myself, but I also don't want to wait any longer for the release of CM and would be happy to wait for a patch or CM 2 to implement it.

ScottK:

The "two emails/turn" method would still have the same cheating prevention that the current three emails/turn system has. When Player A generates a film file, he still can't see it until Player B has seen it--like the current system requires. However, Player B doesn't just return the film file but appends his orders for the next turn--unlike the current system.

Guachi,

Fast-forwarding the film and sending it back 0.01 seconds after you get it doesn't do much good if you're playing someone 8 time zones away. That's why I'd really like to see this "two emails/turn" method implemented. It currently takes half again as many emails to resolve a game as is really necessary.

Dar