Turn 19

Guest PatB_TGN

Good God Fionn, I'm starting to feel your pain smile.gif Ouch ! It hurts to see Panther put out of action like that ! smile.gif I'm with you, keep fighting, I wish I could KG von Fisla could help but unfortunately I'm stuck fighting around St. Vith smile.gif ! Keep fighting !

Peter

Guest PatB_TGN

Hey Risc,

TGN is not going to be updated for at least a few days. Battlefront.com gave me a spot to work in on their server! So you should really thank them for being so generous with their resources. smile.gif

-Patrick

[This message has been edited by PatB_TGN (edited 09-09-99).]

What if any control did Martin have over the Jabo? Did he know ahead of time he would get one? Did he get to call for it at a certain turn? I think he mentioned he was not in direct contact with it so he couldn't order it about, but this was the first AAR where I've seen it mentioned.

Guest PatB_TGN

Air assets are handled completely by the A/I side of the player. Martin has no control over the Airstrike and lets fate take its course. The A/I is really good at looking for juicy targets. Tanks were, unquestionably, the most juiciest of targets of the fighter-bombers.

-Patrick

I have a question about the game scale time/action/distance.

They are now in turn 19/20 and which I assume is 19/20 minutes of game time. It seems like the both sides have cover a great deal of ground in this amount of time. The JABO would of have to been patrolling the area to get to the battle that quickly. The game play looks great and I wouldn't change it , just the time scale looks a little off.

Guest PatB_TGN

Hello Peter,

Well the time/scale that's being used is realistic for the situation. The distance is small. I don't want to break player-player confidentiality in this post. But I will say this, the German player (Fionn) didn't waste any time making his attack. Plus, he had armored transports moving over a road. Fionn has kept his advance at a fast pace.

At first, Fionn met light opposition when manuevering towards the Bridge. His Fallschirmjaeger were on their last legs. He might have, 'possibly,' kept them alive longer if he hadn't been caught out in the open. That was a tactical mistake.

-Patrick

Hello Patrick

I've reread some of the turn and some of the stuff in "Questions for Steve" and I do agree that Fionn was moving too quickly, so that does seem ok in terms of time scale, but it does seem that 20 minutes to take a small village is a bit quick, even if the defender did makes some mistakes.

Guys,

A rough estimate from the map shows that I've advanced a sum total of about 600 metres in 20 minutes.

That is an average of 30 metres per minute which isn't very fast for a force of which, at least, half is carried by HTs and tanks.

As for the Jabo: Martin had NO control over it. It showed up over the field of battle, spotted my tanks and destroyed them... He didn't call for it or anything so this is NOT like other games in which you call airplanes and ahve them arrive in 10 minutes.. CM presumes these units are tasked to CAS in your region of the front and thus attack as THEY see fit (and not as you see fit ;) ).

By the time Martin's artillery (which only lasted 4 turns) was finished with me I had lost 2 platoons of infantry... So, in effect Martin stormed a single shattered platoon with close to a battalion of troops...

You had better believe that in those circumstances he would just take that entire village by storm.

Also, I think many people are forgeting the scale here. The ENTIRE map is less than 2 km long.

Thus, the distance from the wall line to the western edge of the map is almost exactly 1 km. The distance from the river to the first houses in the village is only about 200 to 250 metres. The village is very small. It is about 300 metres across or so.. You could walk across the river and through the village in 5 minutes quite easily. It actually took Martin close to 20 minutes... Given the small size of the village I think this is reasonable..

I know that assessing scale must be very difficult for you all just from watching jpegs though so i can understand where this wonderment came from.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Hey, guys - I am reading this thread too, so be careful what you give away about Fionns or my forces, k? If absolutely necessary, ONLY give details away about Fionns forces wink.gif

Anyway, I had NO control over that airplane. It just appeared and started doing its job. I have no idea when it will fly away again, but I hope it will hang around for at least another 40 turns or so smile.gif

Martin, don't read.

The Peters wink.gif LOL,

It's ok guys, I was just explaining stuff.

As for it being a meatgrinder: I would hold that it is like all major attacks. Major attacks were pressed pretty much unto total combat ineffectiveness. Combat ineffectiveness might mean losing 50 to 70% of your force in a 1 hour firefight. NASTY business.

This isn't a model of a probe or something like that. This game models the deathrides of two re-inforced battalions. It's going to be extremely bloody and littered with burning vehicles.

On another point of interest: Actually I am MORE attached to my units in CM than I am in most other games because I can SEE the units.

Seeing Unteroffizier Geiser storm ahead of my forces and rout the entire wall line almost all by himself, then running ahead and clearing the house with the bazooka and THEN charging the bridge itself (by turn 25.. which I've just seen) is pretty awesome. Geiser's squad hasn't suffered a single casualty since it took the wall line and now is advancing like an unstoppable collosus (in the company of its platoon of course).

Combat Mission is one of those games where you do get attached to units which perform well AND I think you will see that none of my good infantry units have taken unecessary losses since the initial charges.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Yeah, you are right Fionn. I red all the German reports, and I'm really hooked. In fact on the turn 19 when you lost that Panther I felt like jumping in and helping out, it felt so real. I wonder if there will be an option to play with more than 2 people.

When is the Beta demo coming out ? I would love to try it.

Peter

Demo: Soon but still a little bit off. I hope you get to play in the summertime OR autumn. I love the colours of the trees in autumn you see... Anyways, I hope you get to play it in Autumn or Summer since you'll have a lot more freedom of movement than I did. People are forgetting about the effects of snow in CM.

Forget about just having a white screen. It slows down ALL movement. Just wait for a few more turns.. More tragedy befalls me but Martin has a very painful time too hehe wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly