Game lockup

Guest Lokesa

During a pbem game (Chance Encounter) I ran into a problem with the game freezing at the intro screen. It would let me choose "load email" then select the file and open it but the password screen wouldn't appear rather the screen remained graphically the same. At this time I still had control of my mouse but any input was responded to with a "ding" and no other visible effect. My workaround was to restart the program and try again until it worked sometimes up to 6 7 tries later.

What's wierd is other files seemed to load without a problem just thta one game...

Guest Lt_Bull

Yep. I have had lockups as well. I think it may just be my system's limitations (128mB RAM, 350Mhz AMD-k2, 16mB voodoo banshee).

Mine lockups have repeatedly occurred in instances where:

1. I have just hit DONE after viewing a turn and the REINFORCEMENTS HAVE ARRIVED screen pops up. Completely locks up system. Have to reboot. Have to restart game and try until it doesnt happen. Reson I may think resources are stretched is because mouse flickers even at startup menu screen as you pick NEW GAME, PBEM etc.

2. More recently, in a PBEM game after I viewed a replay, planned my turn and hit GO to complete the turn. Game locked up but was able to CTRL+ALT+DEL out or press ESC to get out. Reloaded file but happened 2 more times. Funny enough pbem.txt file seemed to have written itself (I checked the date/time). Waiting on my opponent to verify that.

That's funny, I have the exact system smile.gif

I've had the freeze at end of turn (comes and goes) this acts the same but it is at start upon opening pbem file.

Whoa, I just had your problem number two happen to me this weekend, right down to the fact that the the pbem text file seems to have been written correctly.

And I just upgraded to a Voodoo3 2000 card. Never had a problem with the Monster3d that I had before that.

[This message has been edited by clcaldwell (edited 11-29-99).]

Lt. Bull, your #2 used to happen to me a lot, but I have a workaround which may work. If the PBEM game is the first thing I do when I start cm, that seems to happen all the time. However, if I start up a scenario vs. the ai first, then Alt-A to quit out of it, the PBEM works fine. Worked for me, hope it works for you. smile.gif

As for the other problems, sorry I can't be of help. frown.gif

-John Hough

[This message has been edited by John Hough (edited 11-29-99).]

Hey Cool, I updated my profile to the new email yesterday if it's still not working the addy is lokesa@home.com

As to icq, your still showing on my list, but allways in the offline section??? # is 10139683.

and no that pbem is gone, game's over smile.gif

The game Lokesa is referring to was with me...I surrendered, is why the game is over. #@!m FOW smile.gif

Anyways...I too,had the occasional problem of the game 'not starting' while we were playing. Never locked up during a game, always when trying to load the PBEM file. I would get the window to load the file from, choose the file, and as Lokesa nothing would happen, but my mouse would work. Hitting ESC would get me back to the desktop, but the game was no longer active. After repeated attmepts, 2 to 12 per problem, the game would fire up and play just fine.

And my system is Intel PII 350 w/ 128 Ram, 2D Creative Blaster Banshee w/ 16 meg; so my hardware is different than Lokesa, but I had the same problems. Didn't seem to start happening til about turn 12 or so(???? You remember Lokesa???) The last 5 turns or so, it always happened (tho, most of the time, it only took a second try to get it to work).

I was playing two other PBEM games at the same time as with Lokesa (both in the first couple of turns) and didn't have a problem with firing up the game, even when Lokesa's file wouldn't fire up.

[This message has been edited by Strider (edited 11-29-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

There was a lockup bug with PBEM in the Beta Demo, and there was at least one task switching but. Both have nothing to do with your systems and has already been fixed.

Steve

P.S. Strider, there is always next time wink.gif

Fog of war smog of war, I kicked yer ass wink.gif

Hundminen,

I have never once locked up during play whether it be giving orders or during playback, only upon entering and exciting and only during specific games as in locking up after making pbem file during LD vs Bryan, upon loading pbem file CE vs Strider, etc.