Another time killing thread: Best WWII book?

Hi

Well I go for the rather dry academic/history texts;

Clash of Titans-Col.David Glantz. In fact anything by Glantz on the eastern front is definatly worth getting

Road to Berlin/Road to Stalingrad-John Erickson. 2 big volumes on the war in the east. A bit heavy going, but very detailed books.

Stalingrad-Antony Beever. Released last year, this is a modern account of the battle of Stalingrad with some good eye-witness accounts. Equals if not rivals 'Enemy at the Gates' by William Craig.

Stalingrad-Theoder Pleiver. This is a novel about Stalinagrad, written by an German anarchist who was a WW1 veteran. Very harrowing book.

You can no doubt guess where my interests lie...

Kevin

------------------

Combat Mission:

http://www.wargamer.com/cm

Road to Moscow:

http://www.wargamer.com/rtm

[This message has been edited by K L Sparrow (edited 10-11-99).]

Kevin,

Have you read Stalingrad: memories and reassessments by Weider and von Einsiedel? I have just ordered it from my local library and since you seem to be a Stalingrad buff smile.gif I thought you might have a comment. Personally I find most Stalingrad books a bit depressing as they are usually from the German perspective and characterised by gloom and futility.

Here's my short list of books worthy of being included on a best list:

1. Just about anything from the United States Army in World War II Series. There are numerous subseries which have solid, detailed accounts of operations. The best feature of these books is the detailed map set included.

2. Panzer Battles (F.W. von Mellenthin)... if you haven't read it, I can only tell you that this one is absolutely worth buying. Excellent for its accounts of Rommel in Africa, Hermann Balck near Stalingrad, and Balck in NW Europe. Provides a superb insight into the operational & tactical plans of brilliant panzer commanders.

3. Hitler's Last Gamble (Trevor N. Dupuy) ... The all-round best account of the Battle of the Bulge that I've read. Detailed, accurate, and excellent reading, provides a complete understanding of the battles and how they related to one another in both time and command response.

Excellent books that cover famous battles are:

Lost Victories (Manstein)

Panzer Commander (Hans von Luck)

Steel Inferno (Michael Reynolds)

The Longest Day (Cornelius Ryan)

A Bridge Too Far (Ryan)

The Last Battle (Ryan)

It Never Snows in September (Robert Kershaw)

A couple of really good books on specialty topics are:

Death Traps (Belton Cooper)... covers experience of US 3d Armor Division throughout the Combat Mission area. Excellent account of how the M4 performed in combat.

Over the Abyss (I. G. Starinov)... unique insights from Russia's top demolitions expert into how the Soviet Officer Corps and partisans existed and operated under Stalin. Vivid accounts of Soviet activities in the Spanish Civil War and WW II.

Martin

Guest Scott Clinton

Don't know if its the best I have read but I just picked up a copy of "Commandos from the Sea: Soviet Spetnaz in WW2".

Very good read. A translation of the original and the only one I have found dealing with these elite Soviet units in WW2.

Darn cheap at 1/2 price books too! ;)

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Simon Fox wrote:

"Kevin,

Have you read Stalingrad: memories and reassessments by Weider and von Einsiedel? I have just ordered it from my local library and since you seem to be a Stalingrad buff I thought you might have a comment. Personally I find most Stalingrad books a bit depressing as they are usually from the German perspective and characterised by gloom and futility."

Hi No I havent come across that one yet. Im Reading 'Russias War' by Richard Overy at the moment, which is pretty good.

Well , I recommend Antony Beevers 'Stalingrad' for a perspective of Stalingrad from both sides for balance. It was out last year and is now released in paperback and I think its quite high up in our reading charts. Well wort getting, just for the interviews with survivors.

Kevin

------------------

Combat Mission:

http://www.wargamer.com/cm

Road to Moscow:

http://www.wargamer.com/rtm

Anyone intrested in Stalingrad should try to get a hold of Enemy at the Gates by William Craig. The book is out of print now so it may be hard to find.It is a fast moving account of the battle in from civilians caught in the middle, to people of all ranks on both sides.