Spaced armor & skirts

Speaking of Pzkw IV's I am curious if you guys have shot any Bazookas, PIATs or any other shaped charge for that matter, at armored skirts and/or spaced armor to see if they work the way they are supposed to?

------------------

Rhet

Guest Big Time Software

Well, since you asked I figured I had better check it out and report back. I put 5 PzIVs in harms way of 5 Bazookas. I presented each bazooka with a nearly perfect flank shot. The result was that two tanks were instantly killed on the first shot each. Another was at a bit more of an angle, and managed to survive a direct hit, without damage. The 4th got lucky when his stalker missed. Some smoke was popped and the tank withdrew. The one that was hit, but not killed, withdrew out of harms way, and right back into it again and got nailed by a different bazooka from the rear. Same thing happened to the fifth tank.

So what can I conclude? That artificial tests are dumb smile.gif Too many variables even in this artifical test. However, one thing was interesting... the PzIV that took a direct hit should, in theory, have been knocked out. The bazooka can cut through twice as much armor as what was presented. But a slight angle, and it looks like the skirts, made all the difference. So I think we can conclude that Charles has done his homework for now smile.gif

Steve