Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Anybody seen a book on battle of Tilly-Sur-Seulles 44?

Have just returned from a very interesting visit to the small war museum in Tilly-sur-Seulles(inland from Gold beach - NOT Tilly-la-Campagne), it was one hell of a battle, apparently the small town changed hands 23 times, by the end of which there wasn't much left standing! 50th Inf. Div. 8th Armoured Brigade etc. versus Panzer Lehr. Does anybody know if there has been a book written about this battle? It would make a great scenario for CMBO, or even operation as it lasted so long, nearby Lingevres could be tied into it too. But I really need more detailed information to do it properly. I have all the general Normandy books. :cool:

Originally posted by Royal_Dragoon_Guard:

Have just returned from a very interesting visit to the small war museum in Tilly-sur-Seulles(inland from Gold beach - NOT Tilly-la-Campagne), it was one hell of a battle, apparently the small town changed hands 23 times, by the end of which there wasn't much left standing! 50th Inf. Div. 8th Armoured Brigade etc. versus Panzer Lehr. Does anybody know if there has been a book written about this battle? It would make a great scenario for CMBO, or even operation as it lasted so long, nearby Lingevres could be tied into it too. But I really need more detailed information to do it properly. I have all the general Normandy books. :cool:

I suggest "The Bloody Battle for Tilly", by Dr. Ken Tout, the bloke who wrote "Tank!", "Tanks, Advance!", "To hell with tanks!" and "A fine night for tanks". I haven't got round to reading my copy yet. Amazon have it.

All the best,

John.

Thanks John, but you'll that book is actually about the battle for Tilly-La-Campagne, I made the same mistake! Still a good read though.

Woops! My apologies. The chapter he has on the other Tilly is sufficiently light on references to suggest that there might not be a book on T-sur-S, other than bits of the appropriate div or regiment histories.

I can't tell where you are based from your profile -- can you get to the PRO in Kew? ISTM that this is probably a case where you'll do best going straight to the primary sources.

All the best,

John.

Thanks everybody! The museum is well worth a look over, about an hour or so is all you need - its small. Some good relics from the battlefield though, all picked up "after the battle" in the village, by the locals. You can touch most of it too, makes a change these days. Try moving a 251 roadwheel for example! Check out the Panther roadwheel on the way out - kinda dwarfs all the others!

Yep that's the one, I think it only opens in summer. The museum is actually in the chapel. Outside, around the back, there are a couple of statues that were in the churchyard during the fighting, one (bronze) has a hole right through it from an AP shot, the second stone statue is minus its head!

Another good, but little known museum, is at St. Martin des Besaces, not far from Villers Bocage, it deals with Operation Bluecoat - the British armoured breakout. Once again, it French and just covers the local area, but in some detail. Lots of relics, a couple of life size dioramas and a very large model of the town during the fighting. Its very easy to find the places still, the area has not changed that much. I think these inland battles are not given enough coverage. I would love to see a decent museum built inland on the British/Canadian sector, say around Hill 112. The battles here dwarfed anything that happened on the beaches. I think too much emphasis is placed on the beaches here. Even on Omaha, the bloodiest of the landings, casualties were light compared to the fighting inland. Yet I'm sure many people aren't even aware of these major battles inland. I would love to see a museum, say on Hill 112 or inland from Caen, on the sites of Epsom or Goodwood maybe, relating the story of these epic duels that some days saw 400 British/Commonwealth tanks destroyed. Why is it these battles seem to be forgotten? Even CMBO doesn't have a scenario on Hill 112! I'll just have to build one myself and stop moaning!

Even CMBO doesn't have a scenario on Hill 112! I'll just have to build one myself and stop moaning!

Sure it does. In fact, I know of two. When I get home tonight I will send you "Taurus over the Odon" by Franko. It depicts the 11th armored's attack on hill 112 during Operation Epsom. The other is "Crown of Thorns", the 43rd division's attack during Operation Jupiter, by the Desert Fox. That one you can pick up from Der Kessel or the Scenario Depot. Both highly recommended.