Oddities?

Playing Last Defence as US.

Turn 10 and the cavalry show up; crash,bang, wallop and one tiger, two Stugs and two halftracks K.O'd on the bend in the main road.

Lots of hits on the tiger but (and I've watched this very,very carefully many times over)all the shots broke-up including the final one which hit the lower front hull; and it still knocked-out (not abandonded- veteran crew anyway, so unlikely) the tiger!

Can a tank be knocked-out without any penetrating hits like this?

Also, one of the aforementioned HT's was pushed out of the road by another HT but it pushed it INTO a Stug, so the graphics merged. Is this a bug? Seems unlikely that the two vehicles would squash-up together like that.

Cheers

Jim

I'll answer the last bit..

Check that the SCALING wasn't set to +1 or +2. Units won't merge BUT when scaled up it often appears as if they do wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

This isn't supposed to happen, but it can in theory happen from time to time. Each unit in the game, vehicle or otherwise, has a footprint of one set of coordinates (i.e. the head of a pin smile.gif). There is code in there that is supposed to keep units realistically spaced apart, but this code can not check for inbetween circumstanaces, only final destinations (way too CPU intensive to do it more than that). So if two vehicles' paths intersect, and something makes the vehicle react to break off the preassigned path, it is possible for them to get too close. Not much we can do about it, but fortunately it is rare and doesn't harm realism that much.

Steve

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>There is code in there that is supposed to keep units realistically spaced apart,<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think I've seen this code in action when I try to position two infantry squads too close together. One of the two always seems to auto-plot a small move away. Unfortunatly, this sometimes leaves them facing the wrong way or without the intended LOS to the enemy. In the worst case, I saw squad start to try to leave the cover of a building!

How much spacing is required between squads?

Mark

Guest Big Time Software

Something like 5-10 meters depending on terrain. Houses are the really cramped ones. You can basically only fit one squad in each "corner" of a house.

Steve

Then I guess you have to position them kinda carefully, WAY in the corners. I've tried to put a squad and an HQ along the same side of the house and STILL get the repositioning. Same with a two-man team (zook or FO).

Thanks for the info, Steve.

Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark L (edited 11-14-99).]

[This message has been edited by Mark L (edited 11-14-99).]

I can fit 2 squads and 1 HQ into a house.. I'm workin on getting that 3rd squad in but I don't think it's generally possible frown.gif

Still that means you can put a full-strength platoon in two houses.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Mark L,

Exactly.. I only do that when I'm staging attacks so that the C&C radius is good when I order them to assault.The houses are only transit points ALTHOUGH some of the BIG houses can hold a lot of troops. You can fit two platoons in if you really want. Pretty impressive redoubts (so long as no tanks are around).

------------------

Fionn Kelly