Playstation 2

Hey BTS

Have you guys considered porting the game over to the playstation 2? This machine is a beast with 3D graphics and would allow you to make the ultimate version of CM. How does 6 gigaflops sound smile.gif Apparently it can render ToyStory in realtime at 60 fps! Oooerr

that's what I call muscle.

CCJ

Guest KwazyDog

Umm, to be honest Id say there is a lot of deatils about it that they havnt yet let out that probably wont add up to make it as good as it sounds CoolColJ.

For instance, if it really could render ToyStory in realtime at 60 fps then there would be a lot of people out there throwing away very expensive rendering stations. Im talking systems worth $100000 cant do that smile.gif

I could be wrong, but after working in the 3D animation industry for some time I think that statement is too good to be true smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

No plans to do anything other than PC and Mac. There are a huge number of reasons for this, most of which are manpower and money related. We would have to invest a LOT of time in money for an audience that doesn't exist. If people want a strategy game they have a PC, so why make the thing all over again for the same people?

Steve

I'm led to believe it has 2 USB ports for keyboards, mouse, modem etc and 2 Firewire ports (whatever the apple highspeed port is called). Admitly the developer kit is not cheap, just that to get that sort of horsepower from a PC is so expensive. I own a Playstation and am appalled at the lack of strategy games. There are a lot of japanese ones but not much else. Civilisation 2 is good, or yeah there is Panzer General 2 smile.gif

Maybe one day you could license a conversion to Sony wink.gif

KwazyDog > I could be wrong, but after working in the 3D animation industry for some time I think that statement is too good to be true

Well i heard George Lucas

commenting about how they had computers running 48 hours a day just to render one scene and wished he had a playstation 2 to do the job smile.gif Lol , rememeber the PS2 is 128 bit and running at 350 mhhtz, and without bulky Windows. Pentiums aren't even 64 bit yet (I may be wrong), well Windows definitely ain't wink.gif I have seen some real time renders from the Ps2, and I'm very impressed, its just like FMV.

CCJ

Guest KwazyDog

CoolCol, you may be interested in this. Its a new video card coming out early next year that is *supposedly* 20-30 time fast than a Voodoo 3. Hehe, I say supposedly because Im also dubious about it smile.gif Seeing is believing.. Looks very good though, check out some of the screen shots...

http://www.bitboys.com/a_pr_glaze3d.html

Anyways, I think the main difference between the real time renders and those you see in movies is that real time dont actually render thing like proper reflection of light, refraction, they 'simulate' it, in a sense. It may look pretty much the same, but the human eye pics up the suttle differences.

I do believe the quality would be very similar though, and its going to be very interesting to see, but there is a lot happening behind the scenes in a render that you arent aware off. They are things take CPU power, not 3D ability, to calculate smile.gif

Anyways.....blah blah, hehe

KwazyDog

heres the quote from a Japanese mag interview with George Lucas -

>Earlier this year we reported on Roger Ebert's (of the Chicago Sun Times) discussion with Lucas, in which Lucas continually praised the PlayStation 2 hardware. "The thing about the PlayStation 2 is that it works in real time," said Lucas. "We didn't make Phantom Menace in real time. Some of the shots in the film took 48 hours to render. We had huge, giant computers cranking every minute of the day. Here they're doing it in real time as you sit there."

Remember the Playstation 2 cranks out 75 million Polygons a sec without Fx, imagine CM running with 75 million Polygons a sec! Oerrr!

CCJ